Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #1  
collegegirl89

S/C/G: 162/162/115

Height: 4'10"

Default I need exercise advice!

I want to start at agym but I have no idea where to start once I do. What exercises to do, how many of them to do, or at what level? I won't even know how to work the machines. I want to join but all the questions are buzzing around in my head. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Is Curves or the Y better, the Y is less expensive but is it as comfortable a setting as Curves is supposed to be?
collegegirl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

when you join, get a few sessions with a personal trainer, they will show you how to work the equipment, assess your current fitness levels and recommend appropriate exercises

personally I would go for the Y for a more varied selection.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I suggest the Y, also. They probably have a lot more activities and equipment. They also probably have fitness staff who will orient you to equipment and set you up with a fitness program. When I lived in Seattle, I belonged to a Y, and was very happy with the staff and facility. It had great programs for all ages, too. And please don't worry about being uncomfortable in a co-ed facility, or where you feel other people are so much smaller. I started at the Y when I weighed 261 lbs. and never felt uncomfortable. I noticed that nobody was staring at me--people were concerned about their own workouts and didn't care about mine. After that first day, all my discomfort about going to the gym melted away.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Oh yes, go with the Y, after 6 months of Curves the lack of variety will bore you and you'll reach a weight loss plateau quicker than varying your workouts at a real gym. I also agree to get all those buzing questions answered by a trainer at the gym, they'll be more than happy to answer all your questions...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, definitely go with the Y for the best results. It would be well worth the money to sign up for 1-3 personal training sessions. You will learn so much from getting one for a few weeks.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Collegegirl, it's really an individual thing....before you sign up for a Y or any gym, ask for a pass so that you can check it out during the times you're most likely to go, so you can see what the vibe is like, see if there's a wait for the machines you'd be using, etc. I would also ask about the range and choice of trainers. The last gym I belonged to had terrible trainers, they didn't seem to konw how to individualize their trainings and weren't very focused. Curves are great for ladies who are really self-conscious about working out in a public place or who don't have much experience working out. The Curves circuit can be boring after a while, but some women go to them for a few years before moving on to a "real" gym.

I started out at home by ordering videos from Collage. At this point I mix up the videos with lots of walking and going to Curves 2-3 times a week. I tend to be good about doing cardio on my own, but the Curves circuit has resistance training, so now I do those and do weights, lunges, etc, on my own. If I'm half-way to this year's goal by mid-summer, I will sign up for a full-service gym in July when the rates are really cheap. I miss the spa options at a club!

Good luck!

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/207/135

Height: 5'4"

I know when I joined Curves a few years ago I was kind of dissapointed. It seems as if it's meant to get you moving if you havne't really moved before. The machines at the two I attended basically were hydraulic pump systems which if your muscles were in ok shape, you had to pump really fast in order to get any decent resistance. It led to a lot of jerking and I felt kinda stupid.
Maybe they have different machines at different gyms.
The crowd seemed to be waaaay older at both of my Curves.

I finally realized that I was just joining that for my own insecurity at working out at such a heavy size, but I joined a regular gym and it's fun as ****. i even went up to the powerlifting room a few times and worked out with those steroid dudes. it was fun.

i wish our Y wasn't in the boonies, they have all the coolest classes. alas, i'm too broke for anything now .
Celestyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Our Y is sooo friendly and there are people of all ages AND all sizes, which people are so accepting of and encouraging to. Plus, if you are truly a college student, they will have a really cheap rate for you, monthly, without a joining fee. I just heard them explain that to someone the other day, so make sure to ask for it. Think you just need a current college id. You will get a free eval/orientation with a p/t when you join, plus, there are frequently additional free group classes you can take for aerobic conditioning or weight training.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote