Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/158/120

Height: 5'6"

Default Best workout for fat loss

I hate to run. Point blank. It bores me and it makes me uncomfortable.
I love to dance and take workout classes but can't make it to any classes and I don't have any privacy for a workout tape (my family has the TV in the most public cramped space in the house) so I'm limited to the gym down the street which has a treadmill and two stationary bikes, one reclined and one upright.

I am bottom heavy with a tendency to gain muscle mass fast, but lose fat cells slowly. I know people say women can't bulk up without supplements and serious training, but I do. So I limit my weight training to chest presses and the occasional leg press machine or squats. I figured out cardio is my best bet, but am not sure what routine I should follow given my previously mentioned limitations. any suggestions?
eebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

One question I have for you concerning bulking up is how was your eating when you felt you were bulking up? Usually if a woman says weight training bulked her up, she was eating too many calories in conjunction with the weight training.

For your weights, I'd vary your routine such as do different types of exercises rather than just chest presses and leg presses.

Beyond weights, I'd do the elliptical and the bike at the gym if I were you. Although you may also want to try interval training where you do weights (lower weight, higher rep) in conjunction with cardio machines. I've never done interval training myself but it is the same principal that Curves works on.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/158/120

"One question I have for you concerning bulking up is how was your eating when you felt you were bulking up? Usually if a woman says weight training bulked her up, she was eating too many calories in conjunction with the weight training."

I aim for around 1400 cals a day. I'm now a vegetarian trying to go vegan so while I get enough protein in my diet, it's not a crazy amount and 90% of the time my carbs are whole grains and veggies and fruits.

I forgot to mention that I do a lot of tricep exercises because it's really difficult to bulk up that muscle.

thanks for the advice
eebede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:31 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebede View Post
I am bottom heavy with a tendency to gain muscle mass fast, but lose fat cells slowly. I know people say women can't bulk up without supplements and serious training, but I do. So I limit my weight training to chest presses and the occasional leg press machine or squats.
You won't ever 'lose' fat cells unless you have them physically removed (ie Lipo). You can only 'shrink' them.

Adding lean muscle mass is always a good thing since it helps keep your metabolism humming. You might 'bulk' at first, but it all balances out if you stick with it. Try varying the 'style' of lifting you do...ie do hi-reps/lighter reps (in the style of Slim Series).

My muscles develop quickly, too, but I wouldn't trade weight training for the world. That combined with cardio and clean eating is what does the trick for me when it comes to slimming down.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote