Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Question commuter/cruiser bikes?

Anyone got this type of bike for regular casual riding? I'm looking at purchasing one in the $500-700C range to ride on street and on easy trails 3-5 times per week.

Two names on my list so far are the Trek Calypso-women's version, and the Globe Daily 2.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

I'm looking for one too -- I really like Pashley's bikes (a bit steep in price, but such fantastic vintage charm). The Electra is also nice, and I think it's in your range.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #3  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I have a Cannondale Adventure 5. Got it from Craig's list for $300 which included rack with carrier bags. I hadn't ridden a non-stationary bike in more than 10 years and am having a ball with this one.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #4  

I have a Pashley - steel-framed so very heavy (but not a bad thng when you're trying to lose weight/get fitter!)

Cannondale is a good bet if you want something lighter/less retro. My son needs a new bike and the bloke in the bike shop recommended a Cannondale, as having way the best quality frame for the price. It's the frame you're really paying for as the rest can be upgraded as and when. I checked out some reviews on a website, and the Cannondale also scored highest there.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #5  

I have a Nirve hybrid and am quite happy with it for commuting, but I really do like a lighter road bike for exercise. A lot of my friends swear by Giants.

Also, the bikes you are selected are pretty different. I like the Globe better; you'll be able to ride faster and (in my opinion) with less effort with a lighter frame and thinner tires. Plus, the two bikes have different seating positions. If your wrists are ok with taking more strain, the Globe should also make it easier to ride more quickly, and because this will allow you to put more weight on the pedals instead of your butt, you will be able to ride longer without getting sore.
Plus, I'm not sure if I'm seeing it correctly, but it appears that the Trek doesn't have mounting holes on the frame for a water bottle cage. This is a problem I have with my bike, and it's annoying. I have heard shops should be able to install mounts, but otherwise you can try a handlebar cage (though these always slip down funny for me.)
But I don't work for Globe, I swear! To prove it, I will say that the Trek will give a smoother ride because of the wider tires, plus the seat has springs.

So yeah, if you are just going to be riding shorter distances and at a casual pace, especially if you have bumpy roads or a lot of side walk riding, then the Trek might be good. But if you want something a little quicker and easier to ride with room to grow, I'd go with the Globe.
TerraIncognita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

I have a Trek FX6 or 7, I think, WSD. I love it. It's a hybrid and very lightweight. I use it to commute to work and ride around the neighborhood and parks.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #7  
Beware the Harpie

S/C/G: 225.4/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

I have an Electra Amsterdam. I love it! Only 3 gears, but it's just great for running to the store or going on a leisurely ride.
CelticHarpie is offline   Reply With Quote