Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Default Has anyone used a GPS for walking

I've been thinking about saving up for a handheld GPS system to use for my walks. Nothing fancy, just something I can use to keep track of how far I'm going. I've used one that's on the computer and for the most part I like it, but it's not as accurate as I'd like. The reason I want to keep track of how far I'm going is that I've made a bet with myself. For every mile I walk I put $0.50 in savings for something fun, like a vacation. This way I can keep myself from using the money during the week in the vending machine and it helps get my motivated to walk.

So I've been wondering if anyone's used one of these and if you have can you recommend any good brands?

Thanks.
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I'm no help at all with the GPS. I do use mapmywalk to keep track of my mileage and I am taking a virtual vacation from Northern Michigan to Georgia. I like your idea of paying myself. Wonder if I can convince DH to pay me....hmmm...I'll have to ask him.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

A while back my husband's father gave us an older GPS that someone had given him (unfortunately during the winter, hubby has misplaced it.) I don't know what brand it was, but I've heard that Gamin is a very good brand.

If you only want distance, a good pedometer would be a much more economic choice. However a GPS can also be used for geocaching. I'm pressing hubby to find or replace our GPS, because I fell in love with geocaching and now that the weather is getting nice again, I'm anxious to get out treasure hunting.

If you haven't heard of geocaching, it's finding hidden "treasures" using your GPS to find them. The treasures are usually small weather-proof (such as tupperware) hidden, but not buried, often in parks and wooded areas (but they can be in towns and cities also, the hider just has to get permission from the landowner). In the container are odds and ends (plastic toys, key chains, etc) that you can take as a trophy (take one, leave one - so you want to bring something with you to trade) and a logbook that you sign (many people use a "handle"). Some containers are tiny and are just big enough for a log book or scroll. Take your own pen or pencil, just in case.

geocaching.com is, I believe, the biggest site, and easy to explore and navigate.

I'm not someone who enjoys walking without a destination. As soon as I start to get a little tired, I really just want to go home. However, with geocaching, I'm a lot more willing to push myself because I want to find the "treasure," even though the treasure is a bunch of stuff from other people's junk drawers.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 226/209/125

Height: 5'2

I LOVE GEOCACHING!
my hubby and i always go at least once whenever we leave town. the gps we use is a garmin. we have recently upgraded. i agree that if you are only going to track milage, i would just get a pedometer. but definetly try geocaching, it is so cool!!
gahundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I love your idea of putting .50 aside for every mile you walk! I may have to steal your idea. That could really add up!

I haven't heard of using a GPS to measure walking, but I do own a Garmin GPS that we bought to geocache. We did it once as a family and apparently I was the only one who enjoyed it because no one will go with me again. I've just decided to sell it. Let me know if you might be interested and I can give you all the details (hope that doesn't break any rules here-- I am pretty new).
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Thanks everyone for the advise. I've used a pedemeter in the past with mixed success. I think if I go that route I'm going to have to get one that hangs around the neck or goes in the pocket. I've tried the ones that go on your waist and have accidently reset it many times. Plus my uniform for work isn't exactly pedemeter friendly.

But that geocaching does sound interesting. I've done something similiar to that when I was in elementary school and I remember it being fun. So I may have to try that out.

And Traveling Michele, thank you for the offer, but for right now I'm going to pass. But feel free to use the .50 idea.
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

My husband and I do the geocahing, too -- we usually select locations that are on islands since we have kayaks and so we get to paddle to all sorts of new places to get to the cache -- it really feels like searching for bured treasure!

I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 gps unit for walking, running, biking (and during traithlons even swimming).
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #8  
Lola is Back!

S/C/G: 226/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I love my GARMIN 201 -- it tracks everything... calories burned , mileage, pace and stores it as history for the day, week , month. It is great.
Highly recommend it.
Lola125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #9  
Aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

S/C/G: 249.8/250.2/125

Height: 5'2"

Hey zinkemomx2, thanks for letting me know about mapmywalk. I have a teeny tiny goal for today!
Sashikra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #10  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

That's what I want for mother's day!!! Any input as to the different garmin models?
I've heard about geocaching. Want to try it with my kids. Maybe this is our summer!!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

AVOID AVOID AVOID. i do a fair bit of walking and i never use them. for a start they are a lazy way to work, and people end up using them to much and relying on them.

stick to map and compass, its a great skill usefull everywhere. and wont stop workign if the batteries die or its gets dropped. or when a solar storm scrambles a satalite.

if you want one. get a really cheap old one off ebay that you can keep in your bag for an emergency. i.e to give to rescue teams. but then only use it in conjunction with map and compass.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

a good money saving tip. is google earth. do yoru walk then on google earth zoom to where you walked and use the line and pin tools to follow yoru route. then click the ruler and it tells you how far you covered, it wont however tell you yoru asscent and descent though which add miles to your walks
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 AM   #13  
Starting Again ... Again

Height: 5' 4.5" or so

My boyfriend bought me a Garmin Quest GPS for Mother's Day and mounted it onto our son's stroller for me and it's been the greatest gift EVER! He used a motorcycle mount for it and people have actually stopped me while I've been walking with him (and they've been in their cars) to ask if it actually came with the stroller. I love being able to see how far/fast I've been going (which has actually made me pick up the pace on several occasions) .... with the added bonus of knowing I can't get us lost

Last edited by whoopseedaisee; 05-21-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added GPS brand/model
whoopseedaisee is offline   Reply With Quote