3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise Equipment (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-equipment-213/)
-   -   treadmill questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-equipment/135399-treadmill-questions.html)

suzie76 02-25-2008 08:41 PM

treadmill questions

Hi,

I am considering buying a treadmill. I will be saving up and will probably have around $700 to spend. Can I get a decent treadmill for that amount? I will likely only be walking quickly on it, not running (hopefully I can work up to a slow jog someday!)

I've seen people post that you need to spend $1,000 for a good one, but that's out of my budget.

I've been looking at Proforms. Does anyone have one, and if so, which model? Are you happy with it?

Thanks so much-
Sherry

Hat Trick 02-25-2008 09:02 PM

I replied in the 'Exercise' thread; didn't know if you saw it. I had a proform for about 15 yrs. The incline broke on it (got flooded) but the machine worked fine. It was very loud, however. Even w/an ipod the machine sound poked through and was loud in the room above too. It finally burnt out - some plastic part on the roller snapped - so I replaced it. Do your homework before buying, no matter what you buy. Research! I had a mindset of about $500-$700 but after reading many reviews, upped my budget and bought a Smooth Fitness 5.25 TM for about $1000 (this included a $50 in home delivery fee, which I highly recommend. The guy bought it in and put it down the basement. Hubby assembled the handle bars and stuff; most of its done in factory). Its very well built, has a a lifetime warranty on frame and motor and was rated a top 10 budget treadmill at about.com. Check out reviews on everything you're considering b/4 you buy. I just checked Smooth Fitness website - the 5.25 is on sale (it says until Monday but I didn't see a date) for $900.

I initially walked but improved and now do intervals on it. It's very quiet and seems pretty well built. I like the warranties. Some only give you 90 days or maybe a year. If their warranty is that short then it tells me that it's not built to last. If they're offering a lifetime warranty on frame and motor (or a 20 or 30 yr warranty) -- it tells me that it will be around for awhile. This TM is smoother and more comfortable to run on. Better cushioning; better built; better warranty. Just my 2 cents. :)

SkinnyDogMom 02-25-2008 09:22 PM

If you go to Treadmilldoctor.com you can read a lot about treadmills. Things that you should look for and things that are important to your needs. I found it very helpful to educate myself before shopping.

Mercee 02-28-2008 12:47 PM

I recently purchased a treadmill in January it is by Horizon and I love it. I use it 5 times a week . I have owned for 1 month and I have lost 5 lbs since I started using it.. I got it on sale ofr $599 it is usually $799. Just shop around and I'm sure you will find a great deal out there. I feel it is one of the best investments that I have made. It also came with a full one year warranty and I purchased 2 additional years for 119. They come out once a year to service it.

suzie76 02-29-2008 11:49 AM

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate it.

Mercee, a local Play it Again Sports has a Horizon model (new) on sale. Which model do you have?

I wish I could get a higher end treadmill, but it's out of our budget.

Thanks,
Sherry

Mercee 03-04-2008 12:04 PM

Suzie -- Mine is an LS760. I really love it. I use it 5 times a week and it is great for me. Try it in the store and see if you like it.

andreaphilip3 03-29-2008 12:51 AM

id consider a used one so you can get better for same money bc honestly, i hate to say it , but while i undertand budgets, you get what you pay for with this stuff.