Old 11-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #1  
TemporaryFatChick

Default Hearty Beef & Cabbage Casserole

Here's my first try at an original LC recipe! I am new to carb counting, so I added carbs for the individual ingredients in parenthesis, as well as the total for the entire dish. This came out well, tasted good, was hearty and had a "comfort food" appeal to me, I hope you like it to.

Hearty Cabbage Casserole (15 carbs total)
hamburger (0)
2 T olive oil (0)
4 oz. grated Sharp Cheddar cheese (1.2)
2 clove thinly sliced garlic (1.8)
.5 c chopped onion (1.5)
1 sm. Head cabbage (8.0)
1.5 cup chopped yellow squash (2.6)
dash of cayenne pepper
black pepper and salt to taste

Place olive oil to a large skillet, add garlic and onion and cook until onion is transparent. Add yellow squash and chopped cabbage and cook until tender. Place mixture in a large mixing bowl, set aside.

Add ground beef to the skillet along with the cayenne, salt and black pepper and brown.

Drain beef and add to the cabbage mixture. Add grated cheddar and mix thoroughly. Place mixture in a casserole dish sprayed with PAM and bake at 350 for 30 minutes till bubbly.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

this looks really good Tenn!!! Definitely something to eat on those cold winter days!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

I'm not waiting for cold winter days - the fresh ingredients will be popping up in my own garden soon! Or would be good for things that were "put by" for winter from my garden later!
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

5 stars I must say! I made it with a 2 lbs ground chuck - and a large head of cabbage and 8 oz cheese shredded. (Just cause I'm crazy that way!). I had to add a little hot sauce as I'm out of cayenne. However - it was fantabulous! And quite low carb with it "beefed" up.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/205/150

Height: 5"8"

I thought we are not supposed to do cheese? I would love it if I can add low fat cheese to some things.
Vbevens is offline   Reply With Quote