Turkey Meatloaf - your search is over for a MOIST Turkey Meatloaf!!
I've made this recipe numerous times and it's fabulous. Moist and really delicious. I mean REALLY moist. I was never a fan of Turkey Meatloaf because it would always dry out. Not this one. It's a keeper. Oh, and it freezes beautifully :)
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup onion, chopped
2 large clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup crimi mushrooms, chopped
500g (about 20 oz) extra lean ground turkey (I used Ground Turkey Breast)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp sambal oelek or hot pepper sauce (I used 2 tsp. ground Cayenne pepper)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
1/4 cup egg beater or egg whites
1/2 tsp sea salt (I omit the salt because the worcestershire sauce and low sodium chicken broth give enough sodium, in my opinion)
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup SF BBQ sauce
2 tbsp Splenda granulated
1/2 tsp cooking molasses
1. Bring the quinoa and chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the broth has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Put the onion and garlic in a microwave-safe casserole and cook on medium for 5 minutes until the onion has softened and turned translucent. The objective is to cook off a lot of the moisture. Don't worry about whether it is fully cooked. Allow to cool.
4. Combine the turkey, quinoa, onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomato paste, sambal oelek, Worcestershire, egg beater, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mix until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a 9" x 4" loaf in a large silicone pan (e.g., 9" x 9") or foil lined baking tray. Do NOT use a loaf pan. As the turkey cooks it will give off a lot of moisture. We need someplace for that moisture to go. Otherwise, the turkey will steam in its juice and be very soft and fall apart easily.
5. Combine the Splenda, BBQ sauce, and molasses in a small bowl. Brush liberally over the surface of the meatloaf.
6. Bake in the preheated oven about 50 minutes until no longer pink in the center. A thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Stats @ 5 servings:
- 0.7g sat fat
- 1g fiber
- 3g sugar
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.|