Pork Chops with Cabbage
(from Pierre Franey’s Low Calorie Gourmet)
(tested by group week of January 29, 2000 to very positive comments.)
10 cups loosely packed cabbage (1/4” strips)
1 tablespoon of butter or oil
4 pork chops (about 8 oz. each)
2 teaspoons of salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine (or chicken stock)
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 whole cloves
1/2 cup chicken stock
1. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy casserole.
2. Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper and brown over med-high heat (about 2 mins. per side). Remove from pan.
3. Brown onions and garlic lightly in same pan, adding more oil if needed.
4. Return chops to pan. Add wine and rest of ingredients.
5. Cover, bring to a simmer and cook for 45 mins to one hour.
Serves 4. Per Serving: 348 calories. 18 g. fat, 7 g. carb, 4 g. fiber, 38 g. protein
Leftover cabbage is excellent in soup.
Original recipe calls for 16 cups cabbage - I cut it back.