Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2000, 04:35 AM   #1  

“SPAGHETTI” PIE

1 package broccoli slaw mix (1 think they’re a pound size package – in the veggie section)
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon Italian seasonings (or basil)
˝ teaspoon lemon pepper
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup egg beaters (or 4 eggs)
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
Your favorite tomato sauce (optional) or salsa

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie pan with non stick spray. Steam broccoli slaw mix until tender crisp (I do mine in my tupperware microwave steamer and it takes about 4 minutes). Place in a large bowl, and add rest of ingredients except for mozzarella cheese. Put into pie pan, patting down so it’s even. Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes, or until eggs are not runny and top is fairly dry. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt, or if you want it brown, run it under the broiler. Allow to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. Serve with tomato sauce, if desired. It’s also good cold or reheated for a minute or two in the microwave. I take it for breakfast all the time.

I make many variations to this, you can use just about any vegetable – a package of defrosted spinach or chopped broccoli works well or about 3 cups of any cooked vegetable – if you’ve got an abundance of zucchini or yellow squash, it’s good with grated squash. Corn is also a nice addition if you’re allowing and I also try different spices and different cheeses. I really like feta so I'll use that instead of 1/2 the cottage cheese sometimes. PLAY AROUND!
Old 08-03-2000, 05:15 AM   #2  

MillieB! This sounds great and I just may be able to get some veggies in at breakfast. I have a question, could I use riccotta cheese instead on cottage cheese? I think there are less carbs in riccotta...I will have to check on that, not sure!

or....could I just leave out the cottage cheese?

thanks
peach
Old 08-03-2000, 08:29 PM   #3  

You could certain use ricotta instead of cottage cheese - the purpose of the cottage cheese is it makes it creamier, I'm sure you could experiment with leaving it out - it would be like a frittata instead of a quiche then! I'd also check it after about 20 minutes - it will probably firm up faster. Maybe I'll make my one this weekend that way - I'm making a chopped artichoke hearts and roasted bell pepper one -maybe with some feta. YUM!
Closed Thread