I just threw some stuff in the fridge together and came up with this, it was delicious!!! Definitely worth writing down to have again.
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 5-6 cups cooked)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup canned diced garlic/basil roasted tomatoes
- 6 oz (about 1 1/4 cup) sliced turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup sundried tomato pesto (I bought mine in a jar from the pasta sauce section)
- Pierce the spaghetti squash with a knife several times all around it, put it on a foil-covered cookie sheet. Bake at 400deg for 1.5 hours. When the skin is tender and browning, remove, cut in half, remove seeds, and bake for another 15-20min until the "noodles" are soft.
- While the squash is baking, saute turkey sausage in olive oil and add mushrooms and onion at medium to medium-high heat. After a few minutes, add canned tomatoes. I added a tbsp of my pesto while it was sauteing.
- When squash is soft, use a fork to comb the "noodles" into the serving dish. Add the sausage, mushroom, and onions and toss. Then stir in remaining pesto.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot.
serves 8 (about 1 1/4 cups per serving
about 110 calories per serving!!!
I was very pleased with this dish. It's very low cal, versatile, add whatever you want, and it completely eliminates the need for pasta. Seriously, I felt like I was eating a big serving of pasta, lol. The texture/taste isn't quite the same as spaghetti, but it definitely plays that role well and does NOT seem like a vegetable dish at all.
My calorie estimate is an estimate, but I measured and recorded my amounts and used the labels to come up with the estimation.