Kelsey's Favorite Stuffed Green Peppers

• Kelsey's Favorite Stuffed Green Peppers
    Prep Time: approx. 30 Minutes.
    Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes.
    Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
    Makes 6 servings.
    From Allrecipes, Submitted by Cheryl Huber

These are 'open-faced' peppers, which allows the meat/rice mixture to crisp up in the oven while giving you more room for cheese! I made a couple modifications to this to make it SBD-friendly, as listed below. Enjoy!
    3 cups of cooked brown rice (was originally white rice)
    3 large green bell peppers,halved and seeded
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 onion, diced
    garlic powder to taste
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
    2 cups finely shredded reduced fat (skim milk) mozzarella cheese (originally full-fat cheese)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place green bell peppers in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. [I would cook them in the microwave without water, then drain to reserve as many nutrients as possible] Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove peppers from the water and set aside in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain. Return to heat and mix in onion, cooked rice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour in tomato sauce and mix thoroughly. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
    4. Spoon the meat mixture onto each half of the green peppers. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until mixture begins to turn golden brown.
    5. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of each stuffed pepper. Return to the oven and bake until cheese is lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.
    Note from Cottagebythesea: Laurie, this recipe is very similar to the one I use for Stuffed Peppers, although I don't halve my peppers, I just slice the tops off and trim a little off the bottoms to make them stand upright. Also, I don't pre-cook the peppers or the meat mixture. I stuff them and let them bake at 350* for about an hour, and the filling is thoroughly cooked and the peppers are tender. I also mix 1/2 of the cheese into the filling, and use only 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown rice. With 1 lb of ground beef (I use turkey breast), it makes enough to fill 6 medium peppers. Try this with red and yellow bell peppers, too. Yummmmm!