Kelsey's Favorite Stuffed Green Peppers
Prep Time: approx. 30 Minutes.
Cook Time: approx. 45 Minutes.
Ready in: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
From Allrecipes, Submitted by Cheryl Huber
These are 'open-faced' peppers, which allows the meat/rice mixture to crisp up in the oven while giving you more room for cheese! I made a couple modifications to this to make it SBD-friendly, as listed below. Enjoy!
3 cups of cooked brown rice (was originally white rice)
3 large green bell peppers,halved and seeded
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
garlic powder to taste
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups finely shredded reduced fat (skim milk) mozzarella cheese (originally full-fat cheese)
Note from Cottagebythesea: Laurie, this recipe is very similar to the one I use for Stuffed Peppers, although I don't halve my peppers, I just slice the tops off and trim a little off the bottoms to make them stand upright. Also, I don't pre-cook the peppers or the meat mixture. I stuff them and let them bake at 350* for about an hour, and the filling is thoroughly cooked and the peppers are tender. I also mix 1/2 of the cheese into the filling, and use only 1/2 to 3/4 cup brown rice. With 1 lb of ground beef (I use turkey breast), it makes enough to fill 6 medium peppers. Try this with red and yellow bell peppers, too. Yummmmm!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place green bell peppers in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. [I would cook them in the microwave without water, then drain to reserve as many nutrients as possible] Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove peppers from the water and set aside in a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain. Return to heat and mix in onion, cooked rice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour in tomato sauce and mix thoroughly. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spoon the meat mixture onto each half of the green peppers. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until mixture begins to turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of each stuffed pepper. Return to the oven and bake until cheese is lightly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes.