Penne with Shrimp and Broccoli Rabe
Whole Wheat Penne with Shrimp and Broccoli Rabe
Phases 2 & 3
From Prevention Magazine (April 2006 issue)
Prep Time: 7 Minutes
Cooking Time: 18 Minutes
1 bunch (about 1 lb) broccoli rabe or Broccolini, cut into 3" lengths
8 oz whole wheat penne
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb med uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red-pepper flakes
1/3 Cup seafood broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 Cup chopped fresh basil
1/3 Cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Add broccoli rabe and cook until crisp-tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon or tongs and plunge into cold water. Drain and set aside.
2. In the same water, prepare pasta per package directions.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Place shrimp in pan in single layer. Cook, stirring once or twice, until shrimp are pink and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. With slotted spoon or tongs, transfer shrimp to medium bowl and set aside.
4. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to pain and saute garlic over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add red-pepper flakes and broccoli rabe and saute until soft but not soggy, about 2 minutes. Add shrimp, broth, and basil, and heat through, about 1 minute.
5. Drain pasta and transfer to large serving bowl. Toss with cheese. Add shrimp and broccoli rabe mixture and toss. Serve Immediately.
Makes 4 Servings
Per Serving: 548 Cal, 41 g protein, 48 g carbs, 20 g fat, 3.6 sat fat, 180 mg chol, 10 g fiber, 407 mg sodium
Back on the beach after being off for 5 years
. Here goes nothin'!
A wise friend once said: "Focus. Decide what you want to do with your life and do it.
No back doors. No shortcuts. No diversions. Straight ahead, full speed."