Chicken Chow Mein
Chicken Chow Mein Makes 4 servings
A typical chow mein includes meat, noodles, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts. We’ve taken some liberties with the ingredients but have preserved the spirit of the dish’s textural contrasts. For example, instead of beans sprouts, we’ve used shredded napa cabbage; and we’ve replaced the water chestnuts with crunchy jícama.
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
8 ounces whole wheat linguine
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts,
cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sliced scallions
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
3 cups shredded napa cabbage
1/2 cup jícama matchsticks
1. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, and hot pepper sauce, and stir to blend. Set aside.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the fettuccine according to package directions. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a plate.
4. Add the bell pepper, garlic, scallions, and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until the bell pepper is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
5. Add the cabbage and jícama, cover, and cook until the cabbage has wilted, about 4 minutes. Add the soy sauce mixture to the pan. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute.
6. Transfer the chicken mixture to a large bowl. Add the hot pasta, and toss to combine.
* Shrimp & Vegetable Chow Mein Follow the directions for Chicken Chow Mein (above), but substitute 1/2 pound of medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, for the chicken. In step 3, cook the shrimp for 1 minute.
* Pork & Vegetable Chow Mein Follow the directions for Chicken Chow Mein (above), but substitute 1/2 pound of pork tenderloin for the chicken. Substitute 1 bunch of watercress for the napa cabbage.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
calories 395 • total fat 9g (saturated 1.3g) • cholesterol 33mg • dietary fiber 4g • carbohydrate 55g • protein 23g • sodium 730mg • Good source of: niacin, selenium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, zinc