Sesame Shrimp Noodles

• I'm on a roll since I discovered mediterrasian.com! Except for the occasional use of brown sugar - and apparently the use of white flour-pastas (easily substituted) - the stuff I've seen so far seems perfectly suited for SBD. I've found some seriously delicious recipes there!

Sesame shrimp noodles reminded me of a dish I used to make in college. I just found out that soba (buckwheat) noodles are good for Phase 2, and I am thrilled to rediscover them. I beachified the recipe a bit, subbing soba noodles and eliminating the brown sugar. Also, I used broccoli and orange peppers instead of zucchini and red peppers - still doing the Super Foods thang - but really, the sky's the limit for adding veggies to this. The sauce and noodles (plus the garlic/ginger/sesame seeds in the stirfry) are the critical part. Here's my recipe:

Garlic Sesame Noodles, serves 2
    • ~4 oz soba noodles (1 packet of a 3-packet, nearly 11 oz bag)
    • ~2 cups broccoli—chopped into bite-sized florettes
    • 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
    • 0.5 tablespoon sesame oil
    • 1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned rice vinegar - that has sugar in it. Also, the vinegar really isn't necessary)
    • 1 tablespoon canola oil (The original recipe called for 2, but I use a nonstick pan so I didn't need much)
    • 12 large raw shrimp (prawns)—peeled (or more, especially if they are small. Or since there may not be shrimp in the U.S. for a while, could definitely use tofu, or fish/meat of choice)
    • 1 orange pepper—julienned
    • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    • 1 clove garlic—minced (crushed)
    • 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger (I keep a big hunk in the freezer and just grate chunks of it, still frozen, when needed)
    • 1 scallion (spring onion), separated white part and green part—thinly sliced on the diagonal
    COOK the noodles according to the package instructions in boiling water (~5 minutes). Throw broccoli in for the last 3 minutes. Drain in a colander.

MIX together the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar in the pot used to boil the noodles and broccoli. Return the noodles and broccoli to the pan, mix together and let it sit while you finish the rest.

HEAT a wok or large frying pan over a high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the oil and stir-fry the shrimp for 2 minutes. REMOVE and add to the pan with the noodles and broccoli.

REHEAT the wok over a high heat and stir-fry the orange pepper for 1 minute. ADD the sesame seeds and stir-fry for 3 minutes. ADD the garlic, white part of the scallions and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute.

ADD the noodles/broccoli/sauce/shrimp mixture and the green part of the scallions. Stir-fry until thoroughly combined and heated through.

---

And yep, I ran it through Sparkpeople. Here are the stats, using 1 Tbs of oil for the cooking:

2 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 280.1
    Total Fat 13.6 g
    Saturated Fat 1.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 4.8 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 6.4 g
    Cholesterol 64.4 mg
    Sodium 711.7 mg
    Potassium 661.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
    Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
    Sugars 0.8 g
    Protein 16.2 g
    Vitamin A 34.8 %
    Vitamin B-12 8.2 %
    Vitamin B-6 23.0 %
    Vitamin C 427.2 %
    Vitamin D 0.0 %
    Vitamin E 16.8 %
    Calcium 16.8 %
    Copper 29.9 %
    Folate 27.2 %
    Iron 22.6 %
    Magnesium 21.6 %
    Manganese 41.0 %
    Niacin 15.1 %
    Pantothenic Acid 9.0 %
    Phosphorus 20.4 %
    Riboflavin 11.0 %
    Selenium 24.0 %
    Thiamin 15.2 %
    Zinc 12.4 %
  • this sounds yummy!
  • I love mediterrasian.com, I just posted a recipe from there. They are excellent and very easy to make SBD legal!
  • Glad you're enjoying our recipes, Emma and Melanie!

And yes, most of our recipes are SBD friendly for the simple fact that the South Beach diet closely resembles the Mediterranean diet.