Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Thai Red Chicken Curry over Brown Rice

First, you want to have your brown rice made. I made the baked rice recipe on this recipe forum.

I got this recipe from mediterassian.com, and only made a few changes: (sugar to sweetener, coconut milk to light coconut milk, cornstarch to arrowroot. As the recipe advises at the end, put in any combination of veggies or meats or seafood or tofu to customize this recipe.)

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion—finely chopped
2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (or 3 teaspoons for a hotter curry)
2 cloves garlic—finely chopped
1 cup light coconut milk
1 cup SB friendly chicken stock
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon sweetener
½ teaspoon salt
1 zucchini —sliced into thin rounds
1 red pepper —julienned (I had a green one, so I'm using that. You can mix and match veggies, add whatever you'd like. It's a flexible recipe.)
Cooked brown rice
12 oz (360g) uncooked skinless chicken breast fillets—cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tablespoons arrowroot mixed to a paste with 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 large fresh basil leaves—finely sliced (they are referring to sweet thai basil. You could leave this out, or use regular basil, or a pinch of dried Italian basil like I'm doing since I don't have sweet Thai basil and I don't know where to find it.)

HEAT the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. ADD the curry paste and garlic and cook, stirring, for a minute. ADD the coconut milk, stock, fish sauce, sweetener and salt, then bring to a boil. ADD the red pepper and zucchini, cover with a lid, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12 minutes. - ADD the chicken to the curry and simmer, covered, for a further 8 minutes. ADD the arrowroot paste and stir continuously until the curry thickens, then stir in the lemon juice and basil. SERVE on a bed of rice.

Variations: This curry tastes equally delicious using any selection of seafood (such as shrimp, scallops or pieces of firm fish), or cubed firm tofu. You can also use a variety of different vegetables with this curry including shredded cabbage, thinly sliced carrot or green beans. Be flexible and adapt the recipe to make the most of seasonal produce.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote