4 links spicy italian chicken sausage (you can use sweet too)
15 large shrimp (either thawed or fresh)
1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
2 small bell peppers (any color), diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes with sauce
Seasonings: I did not have saffron nor the money to buy it so I added a few shakes of a lot of spices like cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and some italian seasoning
1. Make brown rice according to package. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in pan and add onion. Sweat the onion until tender but not brown (low heat) -- about 5-10 mins. Add garlic and peppers and cook another 5 minutes or until peppers are just soft.
3. Dice the chicken sausage links into bite size pieces and add to pan. Raise heat and cook for another 5 minutes. Make sure nothing burns.
4. Add shrimp and cook until just pink on both sides.
5. Add spices and tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes
6. Add rice and stir well. Cook until it all comes together, about 5 minutes.
Makes 6-8 servings.