Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas

• Great recipe from Cooking Light! We used whole wheat pitas and fresh tomatoes from the garden, but forwent the lettuce...not enough room in the pitas! I actually just had FF Greek yogurt, so used that before I realized it was supposed to be whole-milk...and it tasted perfect. Gotta love less fat!
    Quote:
    Mediterranean Chicken Salad Pitas

Greek yogurt has a thick, rich consistency similar to sour cream. Add honeydew melon and cantaloupe slices on the side.

1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (such as Fage Total Classic)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    3 cups chopped cooked chicken
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 large)
    1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives (about 20 small)
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    6 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, cut in half
    12 Bibb lettuce leaves
    6 (1/8-inch-thick) slices tomato, cut in half

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Combine chicken and next 5 ingredients (through chickpeas) in a large bowl. Add yogurt mixture to chicken mixture; toss gently to coat. Line each pita half with 1 lettuce leaf and 1 tomato piece; add 1/2 cup chicken mixture to each pita half.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed pita halves)

CALORIES 404 (23% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 3.8g,mono 4g,poly 1.5g); IRON 3.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 110mg; CARBOHYDRATE 46.4g; SODIUM 575mg; PROTEIN 33.6g; FIBER 6g

Cooking Light, JULY 2008
  • That sounds unique and delicious and I am dying to try it. But I have never seen Greek yogurt in the grocery store, do they have it at walmart, anybody know? Plus I thought we were supposed to have ff or rf dairy products? I'm confused.