Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 AM   #1  

Default Barefoot Contessa Grilled Lemon Chicken

This is my favorite chicken recipe ever! The recipe calls for bonlesss breasts but I think it is even better with bone in skinless breasts . . . It is really really good. Be sure and marinate at least 6 hours.

My very picky kids love it too and they don't love much - they are 5, 3, and 1 years old.

I know it calls for a ton of oil but very little is on the chicken when you grill it.

I also use a similar marinade (just a bit more salt and no thyme) for asparagus and grill them the same time.

Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa) also says you can slice the chicken and serve it with a dressing of equal parts of olive oil and lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper over lettuce - which is also delicious!

You could definitely use less oil is there is lots and lots left over, but my solution is just to grill more chicken - it is just as good as leftovers.

Obviously, if you use bone in breasts they need to be cooked longer.

Barefoot Contessa Grilled Lemon Chicken

¾ cup lemon juice
¾ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves (or ½ tablespoon dried)
2 pounds boneless chicken breasts

1 Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
2 Pour over chicken in nonreactive bowl and marinate 6 hours or overnight.
3 Heat grill and cook 10 minutes per side until cooked through.
4 May be served over green salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, below.
Lemon Vinagarette
1 Whisk together ¼ cup lemon juice and ¼ cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve immediately.

Last edited by athensmomof3; 07-04-2006 at 10:36 AM.
athensmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How many servings, please? I sure would ditch some of the oil.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I LOOOOVE this chicken. I use it in EVERYTHING. If you make extra, you can put it on whatever you'd like - salads, sandwiches, and my personal favorite, on top of homemade pizza with lots of veggies.

Its my favorite basic chicken recipe. I only put a tablespoon of oil in, though, and it all works fine.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #4  

As far as servings go, I don't know. 2 pounds of chicken would serve 5 or 6 depending on the chicken breast size, but you can't really divide the oil by 6 or whatever because the bulk stays in the ziploc, and you throw it away. I would say you are getting, at the very most, a couple of teaspoons of oil per serving.

I would suggest that if you cut down significantly on the amount of oil that you oil the grill grate or the chicken will stick. I suspect what is left on the chicken is about the same as the amount you would use to lightly rub the chicken with oil before grilling.
athensmomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote