3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet > South Beach Recipes > Entrees - Phase 1

quick tomato, basil & cheese baked eggplant

Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Default quick tomato, basil & cheese baked eggplant

2 different Rachael Ray recipes contributed to this dish-Tomato, Basil & cheese baked pasta and super garlic eggplant parm subs

This made 4 servings

1 good size eggplant
cup of cottage cheese-well drained/can use ricotta if you prefer
2 slices of provolone
2 slices of mozzarella/or some shredded
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes-fire roasted add extra flavor
garlic
olive oil
parmesean
fresh basil

In a small sauce pan, pour in some olive oil 1/2 cp or so and add 2-3 smashed cloves of garlic and some red pepper flakes. Heat this for a few min to infuse the oil iwth garlic flavor.

Slice the eggplant into 1/2" slices and fan them out in a baking dish. Brush the garlic oil over them, then flip and do the other side, salt & pepper them. Bake at 350 for 10-15 min or til they get soft.

While it cooks, add some diced onion, mushroom if you wnat to the remaining garlic/pepper oil. Once sauteed add the 28 oz tomatoes, s&p, bring to a boil and then simmer. Toss in a handful of fresh basil and let it wilt in-smells so good!!

Now cut each eggplant circle into strips (like ziti). Spray bottom of glass casserole dish, toss in eggplant, mix it with the cottage cheese (I used about 3/4 cup cottage and 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt) and handful of parm.

chop up the provolone cheese and scatter over the eggplant mixture. Cover the whole thing with sauce then add mozzarella on top-shredded or chopped, a sprinkling of parm and some tomato slices add a nice touch. Bake for 10-15 min. When it comes out toss some more fresh basil strips on top!

I will not surrender. I will not turn against myself when things get tough. I will never show weakness on the outside. The tougher and tighter the situation the more I will love it.
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.