chinese dinner-lettuce wraps and bacon shrimp & scallops

• OMG I am so deliciously stuffed right now that I must share...

appetizer

Preheat oven to 425. Take some sea scallops and/or raw shrimp(peeled and deveined), toss them with lime zest, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and a splash of sesame oil(I only had olive oil and it worked fine). Wrap each piece with a half slice of bacon(turkey)-around the diameter of the scallops and secure with a toothpick, spiral around the shrimp. Bake for 10-14 min.

entree

1-1.5lb chicken, chopped in bite size pieces
    1/2 red pepper, chopped
    handful of chopped shitake(or other type) mushrooms
    3-4 chopped green onions(green end to white root)
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1" piece of gingeroot, chopped
    2-3 tbl hoisin sauce or spicy brown bean sauce-House of Tsang makes both and they are delish!
    orange for zesting
    Lettuce for wraps

Heat canola oil in a pan, add chicken for 2-3 min, add mushrooms, garlic and ginger. toss in pepper and onion. Zest orange in. Stir in sauce and continue to cook so that all chicken is cooked. Cut iceberg lettuce in quarters and use as wraps for chicken filling, squeeze a splash of juice from the orange if in phase 2. Serves 4.

Serve appetizer and entree with a hearty side of steamed broccoli and you will be full for hours!!
  • Sounds yummy! The sauce though: I live in a total cow town. I doubt I could find brown bean sauce. And what is Hoisin sauce? It sounds so familiar! Is ti similiar to soy sauce? Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions!
  • it's thicker than soy, it's basically soybean type paste

it does have some sugar in it so maybe it's actually better for phase 2 but it's a very small amount

• Um.....be careful not to use too much as it could set off cravings. It not only has sugar but also molasses and wheat flour.
    I just love the stuff!
  • Ruth's right but the spicy bean sauce doesn't have the molasses and it tastes very similar so if you have the option choose that one...

plus the stuff is so thick but thins out as you heat it up, you relly can get away with 1-2 tbl for 4 people, that should be pretty safe