Old 01-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/212/170

Height: 5'9

Default Mexican Chicken Casserole

I've made this several times and we LOVE it!!!

4-5 chicken breasts
1 T olive oil
1 package taco seasoning
1 T garlic
dash cumin
1 green pepper
1 red or yellow pepper
1 onion
1/2-1 C salsa
6 oz lf cheese (cheddar or monterey)

I've made this 2 different ways...either cut chicken in thin fajita like strips and brown or brown whole breast then shred (I like the shred better myself)

Heat oil in skillet and brown chicken (if shredding, shred now) While chicken is browning cut peppers and onion in strips. Then add your taco seasoning, garlic & cumin. Saute for a min or so to mix seasonings. Add peppers and onions and saute for about 5 min. Transfer mixture to a greased 9x12 casserole and top w/ salsa then add cheese. Bake at 350 til cheese is melted.

We top w/ sour cream and lettuce.

Once on phase 2 you can wrap in ww tortillas. We also made refried beans to put on the tortillas before adding the chicken mixture. It is excellent, this is why I like the shredded better...for the wraps.

Let me know how you like it

Serves 4

calories 494
carbs 7g
fat 23g

Last edited by Schatzi; 08-26-2006 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Added serving info from a subsequent post
Tammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, using LF cheese and/or a smaller amount would help. You could also omit the olive oil and just use spray to brown the chicken. I'd be more worried about the salt in the taco seasoning and would just use chili powder.
I'll post if I get to try it this way and will work out the nutritional values.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #3  

This was a delicous meal. I did not use the olive oil, just the non stick spray, and the taco seasoning that I use is a low sodium. I can't wait to get to phase 2 to try it with ww tortillas as suggested. I don't know where the fat content is, everything listed is on the phase 1 food list so I'm not really worried about that.

This is definitely one to make again, thank you
DancingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Minced garlic, I think, or powder. Definitely not salt. That would be way too much for this recipe.
Hey! Don't worry about butting in! This site is for everyone, not just Beachers. Everyone is
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #5  

Hey Rosario, Ruth is right....dont' worry about butting, just join in!!!

I have been using the low sodium taco seasoning as well, and there doesn't seem to be that much compared to other recipes. But the low sodium taco seasoning tastes great.

My mother tried this recipe and used her own seasonings like chili powder etc. whatever else is in the taco seasoning and she said it tasted great, but I like the convenience of a seasoning packet. Especially when you're in a rush.

This is still one of our favorites in the house, hope ya'll enjoy.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #6  

oh sorry, to answer your question, lol

I use garlic, either in the jar or if I take the time to mince cloves.

sorry about the extra post.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

That seems like a lot of calories. The software that I use to get nutrition info from recipes says otherwise - and there is quite the disparity. Using 4 chicken breasts, I got 142 calories per serving.

Any insight on this? Almost 500 cals sounds like a lot for the ingredients used.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #8  

I decided to go with this dish tonight. However, I'm going to boil the chicken, shred it and then season it with a packet of taco seasoning. I will use who wheat wraps filled with peppers, onions, refried beans and lettuce. Sour cream and salsa will be optional.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote