Old 10-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #1  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Smile P1 (or P2) Kale and Cauliflower Bake

This is incredible... and just think of all the vitamins, phytochemicals, and cancer fighting stuff packed into this dish!

1 T olive oil
2 med onions, thinly sliced
1 bunch kale (1 1/4 lbs) tough stems removed, leaves coarsley chopped
3/4 C vegetable broth
8 cups cauliflower (3lbs), cut into florets
8 oz firm tofu, crumbled (I squeezed the excess water out too)
1 C rf shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used a mix of mozz. and provalone)
1 C italian flavored ww bread crumbs (P2 only...and yummy without too)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9X13 baking pan w/ cooking spray.

Heat oil in large skillet, add onions, cook @3 min. Add kale and broth, cook @ 5 min till kale is almost tender. Add cauliflower, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for @ 8 min (I did @ 5 min). Season w/ salt and pepper and transfer to baking dish. Combine tofu, cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs (if using). Spoon evenly over veggie mixture.

Bake uncovered @ 20 min. Let stand 5 min before serving. Enjoy!!

**I also mixed about 1-2 tsp italian seasoning in with the cheese and tofu mixture since I left out the italian flavored breadcrumbs. If you can't find the ww italian crumbs for P2 just use ww bread crumbs mixed with italian seasoning.**

6 entree size servings (would be good as a side too)

Nutrition: 300cal; 15g fat, 22g protein, 28g carbs, 7 g fiber
(This info is with the bread crumbs, it will be lower with my adapted P1 version)

Last edited by pearshape; 10-09-2005 at 10:29 AM. Reason: # servings
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

can you use frozen Kale/Cauliflower?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I don't see why not. The cooking may need to be adjusted to deal with frozen veggies but other than that it should work just fine. And be more convenient too.
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #4  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I made this last night and was very skeptical. I thought there was no way all of this stuff mixed up and baked together would taste any good. I mostly made it to redeem myself from a BIG weekend. To my surprise, this was REALLY good!!!

I baked it for 35 mins instead of 20 and got a nice brown crust on top. I used breadcrumbs because I'm on Ph2 and added my own Italian seasoning. I didn't have any cheddar, so used a combination of mozzarella and parmesan. Lots of salt and pepper.

To all the skeptics, give it a go! You will be glad you did!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi, this sounds great. I have all my ingredients to make tonight. Question, do you know how this would freeze? thanks
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #6  

Default Disappointing,sadly

I like every ingredient in this recipe,so I thought it would be a major hit w/me. Unfortunately I didn't like it at all. I followed the directions exactly. The topping was uneditable as far as taste,so I scraped it off,and enjoyed the veggie combo underneath. I don't think I've ever given a negative review on a recipe,but felt I had to be honest in this case because the ingredients cost $12.,and since money is tight I thought it necessary to mention. If it hadn't been for the Tofu/and the Italian bread crumbs on top, I think It would have been better. I love tofu,and eat it often,so it wasn't that. Sorry I have to report a negative review.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #7  

Hi again, I've felt badly about posting a thumb down on this recipe,although it was my opinion. However, I would like to add this bit of positive. After I scraped off the tofu,and bread crumbs,and packed away the left over veggies, I reheated the califlower/and kale for lunch,and it was GOOD. Thank you,and I do apologize if I hurt any feelings.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

We absolutely loved this recipe. I used half the bread crumbs and seasoned with basil & oregano. There wasn't a noticeable tofu texture or taste to this, just a nice cheesy Italian topping. Next time I'm going to mix rf provolone & mozzarella.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Made this last night, it was quite good. I made it as a side dish, and just mixed the italian seasonings and garlic in with the kale and cauliflower, and only topped it with cheese. The husband even liked it! (the kids did not!)
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #10  

I made this, added brocolli and some fresh tomato on top. Excellent.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote