Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM   #1  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Thumbs up Spanish "Rice"

Well, this didn't taste exactly like rice but it is really good and all the flavors of spanish rice are there. Plus its super quick to make! This will definitely be going in my rotation.

Nutrition info per serving (4 servings here, 8%fat):
Calories: 290 Carbs: 11g Fat: 13g Protein: 22g

-1 lb very lean ground beef (4% or 8% fat)
-2T oil
-1/2 head cauliflower, grated (by hand or food processor)
-1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
-1/2 large onion, finely chopped
-2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped (or 2 tsp minced)
-1 can diced tomatoes w/ green chilis--1/4 C liquid reserved (or just add a few Tbs caned diced chilies if you have the regular tomatoes--I did)
-1/2 - 1 tsp. ground cumin
-1/2 tsp chili powder (optional--recipe doesn't call for it but I added it and it was good)
-1/2 tsp. garam masala (optional--recipe doesn't call for it but I added it and it was good)
-2 tsp worcestershire sauce
-salt and pepper

Lightly sautee the onions and peppers for about 3-4 min. Add beef, chili powder, salt and pepper, and sautee until just brown. Add cauliflower, and a little more salt and pepper. Sautee, stirring occasionally for about 5 min. Add garlic, tomatoes w/ water, chilis if using separately, worcestershire sauce, cumin, and garam masala (if using). Sautee for about 3-5 more min. Add more water if it looks too dry...but it shouldn't be soupy at all. This recipe serves 4. Enjoy!

Oh, if you don't have very lean beef and there's a lot of fat, drain it, but you may want to reseason the meat afterwards. I halved this recipe and it seemed like a lot of meat and not too much cauliflower. Could've been that I just used a small head though. Either way, it was delish!!!

Last edited by pearshape; 08-31-2005 at 12:29 PM.
pearshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:25 PM   #2  
krazy binging insomiac

this was absolutely fantastic. i used tofu instead of groundbeef for a lighter taste. note, if you're going to use tofu, don't add the water.

thanx for the recipe
nefarious_wytch is offline   Reply With Quote