Old 08-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

OH MAAANNN. This was SO good, I HIGHLY recommend it!!! Thanks for the idea!

Here are the changes I made:
- used whole milk ricotta cuz I couldn't find part skim
- added some fresh parsley and 3-4 cloves of garlic to the ricotta mixture
- sliced the eggplant a little thinner than 1/3"...maybe more like 1/4"
- scored and salted (and rinsed) my eggplant slices as others have suggested -- I think this was key
- used Trader Joe's can of organic tomato sauce (doesn't have any sugar)
- added a layer of fresh chopped mushrooms on top of the sauce layers
- used 1 cup of grated parm, and 1/2 c of olive oil for coating the slices prior to broiling

I put it all into myfitnesspal, and a sixth (HUUUUGE portion, probably should have done twelfths) of a recipe came out to only 515 cal, 20g carbs, 39g fat (yikes, def from the whole milk ricotta), and 24g protein. I suggest serving in twelfths!

SO GOOD! Hope it will freeze well!
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #17  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

My rendition (with smoke alarms! ha)

2 medium baby eggplant
1/4 c. olive oil with MRs. Dash, ground garlic and red pepper flakes sprinkled in
1 15 oz. container of skim ricotta with same spices as in oil
1 egg
1/3 c. parm
1/3 c. shredded mozzarella
2 oz. chunk mozzarella, cut thin

I cut the eggplant WAY too thin so about 1/3 were unusable for this dish (BUT make GREAT chips!!!). Cooked at 450 in oven for 15 min (should be more like 10 I think). Only had single layer of eggplant so I layered sauce, salvaged eggplant, more sauce, ricotta mixture and topped with the mozzarella. I would have added a layer of chopped broccoli but DW doesn't mix stuff like that so I served on the side.

Anything coated in cheeses for me is yummy and this was too!

jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 173/157.8/133

Height: 5'4"

My rendition was similar to snoozlebugs:
Peeled the eggplant, sprayed, seasoned and baked it.
Sauteed finely chopped mushrooms w/ onions, garlic.
Thawed frozen chopped spinach in the microwave, and squeezed it dry - mixed the spinach w/ part skim ricotta and parmesan, italian seasoning.
I made them in little stacks for easy portions:
Eggplant, mushroom, ricotta, repeat and top with one more eggplant slice. Pour sf sauce over the whole thing, and put some part skim mozzarella on top.
My daughter commented on the way home from church that she wanted to get the last one left before her Dad ate it for lunch. He was putting his dish in the sink as we walked through the door!!!
CatMat is offline   Reply With Quote