I Lost My Noodles SB Eggplant Lasagna
I got this from a website and it is so good!!!!
I Lost My Noodles!South Beach Eggplant Lasagna
SERVES 8 (change servings and units)
* 2 large eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch noodle-like strips
* cooking spray (olive oil spray is best)
* salt and pepper
* 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin or turkey breast or Italian sausage
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 onions, chopped
* 3 cloves chopped garlic
* 1 red pepper, chopped
* 1 (16 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
* 2 tablespoons italian seasoning (or mix of oregano, basil and thyme)
* 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
* salt and pepper
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you dare!) (optional)
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
* 1 cup red wine (optional) or vodka (optional)
* 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (or large jar sugar free sauce if you can find it)
* 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (for less sugar, 3 chopped roma tomatoes)
* 2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
* 2 eggs
* 3 green onions, chopped
* 3 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
* 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Spray cookie sheet, arrange eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper.
Cook slices 5 minutes on each side.
Lower oven temp to 375.
Brown meat, onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes.
Add red pepper and mushrooms, and cook 5 minutes.
Add spinach, tomatoes, spices and wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Blend ricotta, egg and onion mixture.
Spread 1/3 of meat sauce in bottom of 9” x 13” glass pan.
Layer ½ eggplant slices, ½ ricotta, 1/3 mozzarella and parmesan.
Add last layer of sauce, then mozzarella and parmesan on top.
Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Remove foil and bake or broil another 5-10 minutes until cheese is browned.
Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing, if you can wait that long!