3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Entrees - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1-129/)
-   -   Emeril's URKY LURKY :) ...SBD'd (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/169860-emerils-urky-lurky-sbdd.html)

262mom2three 04-22-2009 01:55 PM

Emeril's URKY LURKY :) ...SBD'd

Bizarre name and ingredient list but the end result was actually quite good. Original recipe rated 5/5 stars with 20 reviews. It actually tasted even better the next day. :)

Emeril's URKY LURKY
Serves 6-8
Emeril estimates 35 min start to finish with pasta but it took me about 45 minutes with spaghetti squash. :)

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash (ph1) OR 1# whole grain spaghetti (ph2 or 3)
1 head cauliflower or broccoli, cut into florets (I cut a large head of cauliflower in half...wish I'd used the whole thing)
1 pound Italian turkey sausage (I preferred hot), or any lean meat to your liking
4 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni or turkey salami, thinly sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, julienned
1 red or green bell pepper, julienned (I used red and would actually use TWO)
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) crushed red pepper
8 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella (fresh or regular both fine)
1/2 cup sliced, stuffed green olives
1/2 cup sliced, pitted black olives (I didn't have these so I used chick peas)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Finely grated Parmesan, for passing at the table

Directions:

Prepare spaghetti squash (or whole grain pasta for Ph2) as usual and then return to a large pot. Cover to keep warm. I put my large enameled cast iron pot on low heat and it kept everything warm.

Steam the cauliflower in the microwave for about 4 or 5 minutes, until tender crisp. Add to spaghetti squash pot and keep warm.

Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, crumble the Italian sausage and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes, just to release a little of the fat. Transfer the meats to the pot with the pasta and veggies and cover to keep warm. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the hot pan along with the onions and bell peppers and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Using a spoon, transfer the sauteed onion mixture to the pasta pot.

Add the remaining olive oil, the cubed mozzarella cheese, green and black olives, and parsley to the pot and, using 2 large wooden spoons, toss to thoroughly combine. Serve the meal in a large bowl for everyone to help themselves. Pass the cheese at the table.

------

Enjoy! It really is quite yummy the next day...especially for breakfast. :) Great textures, flavors, and scent. :)

Schmoodle 04-22-2009 02:20 PM

This sounds FABULOUS and incorporates many of my favorite things! Definitely going on the to-try list. thanks

kittycat40 04-22-2009 03:54 PM

This looks great!!