Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Lightbulb Mexican Casserole (can be vegetarian)

Quote:
Mexican Casserole

2 green peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 red peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 yellow peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped into bite sized pieces
4 chicken breasts (for a non-vegetarian meal), cooked and chopped into bite sized pieces
lots and lots of mexican type spices (garlic powder, chili powder, ground red pepper, cilantro, salt, pepper, etc.)
sugar free salsa, your choice of hotness
can of organic fat free refried beans
can of black beans, no additives, rinsed
low fat or fat free cheddar cheese (I did low fat and I didn't measure but I lightly covered the entire thing)
low fat or fat free sour cream
  • Saute the peppers and onions in a bit of olive oil or Pam with all of the spices, add some salsa if it gets dry
  • IF you do meat, saute seperately, also with spices, a bit of oil, and a touch of salsa
  • Spread some salsa at the bottom of a casserole dish (I used the long, 9 by 13 type glass dish)
  • Spread the refried beans over the salsa
  • Bake uncovered at 450 for about 5 or 10 minutes, just to "crisp" it up a bit
  • add the black beans to your veggies and meat (if you do the meat) once the veggies are done in the pan, and stir it all up
  • Pour the veggie/bean/meat mix onto the refried beans
  • Cover in cheese
  • Bake uncovered for 10 minutes at 450, or until cheese melts.
  • Broil a bit to get "crunchy" cheese if you like
  • Serve with salsa and sour cream with a salad on the side
This fed me and my boyfriend for dinner last night, lunch today, and there is enough left for dinner for both of us tonight.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I would think that you could add more veggies, especially if you are doing the vegetarian option. If you cut 'em up real small you will hardly notice them! Broccoli comes to mind here, as does cauliflower.

I'd think you could also serve this on a bed of angel hair coleslaw cabbage (it's not actually coleslaw, just finely shredded cabbage) for crunch and added veggie power.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 219/196/145

Height: 5'5"

this sounds great
allforHisglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Made it for the first time today. I added zucchini and went HEAVY on the veggies. A little soupy and kind of ugly looking (I used a little tumeric in addition to chili powder, garlic and cumin). Really, really tasty!!!! Going to freeze half for another week. Definitely makes several meals. Thanks for sharing Will save in my recipe favorites!
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote