3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Entrees - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1-129/)
-   -   Rachael Ray's Spaghetti All' Elsa...SBD'd (ph 1) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entrees-phase-1/166074-rachael-rays-spaghetti-all-elsa-sbdd-ph-1-a.html)

262mom2three 03-04-2009 09:21 PM

Rachael Ray's Spaghetti All' Elsa...SBD'd (ph 1)

Maybe this tasted AMAZING to me b/c I have been having a serious craving for pasta BUT...my two older kids (ages 6 & 4...and super picky) ate this up entirely with only the promise of strawberries and Cool Whip Free as a dessert instead of Halloween candy...so it cannot be all that bad! :D

I tweaked this for SBD and added my own alterations per my taste.

SPAGHETTI SQUASH All' Elsa
Serves 4

1 spaghetti squash
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), 3 turns of the pan
3 cloves garlic or more to taste, minced
1 medium to large onion, diced
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/3 cup chicken stock or DRY white wine (DRY wine is okay to use in cooking in small amounts per the book) *I used the wine* :D
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (recommended: San Marzano), plus 1 (14-ounce) can *I've used 1 lg can crushed and 1 small can diced*
Large handful FRESH basil leaves, torn or chopped (1 or 2 flat packages)
2 tablespoons Smart Balance (cut into small pieces) or more EVOO
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (original recipe had 1 cup)
Salt and black pepper to taste

Per SCHMOODLE's method (Thank you!!), jab squash with a sharp knife 1 or 2 times and then microwave for 10 minutes WHOLE. Test for doneness as you may need a few more minutes.

While the squash is cooking, heat a medium sauce pot over medium-low heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, onion, and red pepper and let them cook 5 minutes, garlic and onion will be soft and light golden. Add stock or wine and stir 30 seconds, add tomatoes and combine. Season the sauce with salt & black pepper, to taste, then stir basil in and reduce heat to low. It was smelling pretty good at this point, but I actually let this simmer for probably 30-45 minutes b/c we weren't ready for dinner yet. I've actually been using this sauce as my standard sauce...made it about 5 times so far. :)

When the squash is finished, cut in half, and let cool until easily handled with a towel. Remove seeds and then scoop out flesh with a fork and drain any liquid. Set aside and keep warm. You can skip this "added fat" part if you want but I stuck with it for my kids as it only added a small amount of fat to each serving...Add Smart Balance spread or EVOO to spaghetti squash and toss to melt and coat. Add up to half the red sauce (half seemed like a lot to me) and all of the cheese, work in a handful at a time as you toss to combine. To serve, use tongs or a meat fork to swirl the squash into buttery, cheesy mounds to pile onto each plate. Top each portion with spoonfuls of remaining sauce. Whoa, Mama! Those last words were RR's but I had to agree...again...I was majorly craving pasta. This hit the spot for our family! Ohhh...I actually had a fair amount of sauce left over so I froze it for later use. :)