Old 01-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #1  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

Default fantastic chicken enchiladinis

hey there-I just made the yummiest dinner. It should work for all phases. It is a take on chicken enchiladas but without tortillas so I have dubbed it "enchiladini's".

part 1-shredded chicken
1 lb or so of boneless chicken breast, cover with water and chicken broth(whatever ratio is fine). Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Place just the chicken pieces in a bowl and shred it with 2 knives or 2 forks. Douse this in cayenne pepper, use less if you don't like spicy.

part 2-cheese sauce
16 oz lf cottage cheese-drained
mix in 8 oz of lf/ff sour cream or plain yogurt, then stir into the shredded chicken

part 3-enchilada sauce
1 pkt of enchilada sauce mix
little can of tomato sauce
1 c water
mix and bring to a boil then simmer for 10 min

Preheat oven to 350. Gently spray the bottom of a glass casserole dish. cover the bottom with a can of well rinsed and drained black beans. cover the beans with the chicken mixture. Pour the enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle cheddar on top if desired. Cook til bubbly and delish about 25 min.

This is so filling and hearty. I'd have to say it will feed anywhere from 4-6 people. Hope you enjoy!

almost forgot the best part-after you take it out of the oven, top it with freshly chopped cilantro!!
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:46 AM   #2  

I took your idea and made it my own. I used pre-shredded chicken (breast in a can), simmered it on the stove with a little chili powder added, then added a little enchilada sauce and let it simmer a couple minutes. In a 8x8 pyrex pan, I put one layer of black beans (used one whole can) and mashed them a little, then added the chicken on top, with a little extra enchilada sauce added on (I use the walmart brand, which seems to be acceptable), and of course low fat cheese on top. Was excellent, and very filling. Thanks for the idea!
amelie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #3  

Made this for dinner tonight. It was delish! It was a little runnier than I expected, and then I realized that I hadn't drained the cottage cheese. Whoops. Still tasted great! I might add a can of green chilies and some black olives next time.
JanaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

This rates ***** in our house! I made it for supper tonight, and oh yum! I used the FF Light & Lively Cottage Cheese and didn't have any problems with it being runny. I served it on a bed of shredded lettuce and tomatoes, very satisfying.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #5  
gotta lose it!

This is great -thanks! I drained my cottage cheese with some cheese cloth (yes call me Martha!) I added some chili powder & cumin with the hot sauce to the chicken. I also used a store bought enchillada sauce....and canned chicken - but it made it super easy & yummy!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:35 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

hi:
this sounds yummy!
2 questions
1 could you use FF ricotta (the less runny cousin of cottage)
2 what is the difference between enchilada sauce and salsa
Thanks
Kier
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:47 AM   #7  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

hey KO, here's my 2 cents...don't see any reason why you couldn't use ricotta, it won't be as creamy though as cottage cheese actually melts a little when hot enough.

As for enchilada sauce and salsa-either would work but would be pretty different in flavor. Enchilada sauce looks like tomato sauce with a spicy zing whereas salsa is more chunky with more different flavors like onion, cilantro, etc, etc
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #8  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I made this with a can of shredded chicken, (I didn't have enchalada sauce) so I used chalula instead, poured on zome zesty reduced fat cheese sauce, layered with fresh green beans (don't like black beans) and sprinkled some fat free chedder over the top, think I will add a bit of ff sour cream when I make it tonight. Anyhow, this is so good!

if anyone is interested the zesty rf cheese sauce is a chip dip made my tostitos and has 1.8 grams of fat, 40 cals and 4 grams of carbs per serving.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #9  

This is a wonderful recipe, I used the canned chicken and walmart's brand of red sauce...It turns out to 4 dinners, but I sometimes will make it 3 if I'm really hungry that night. It does come out a little runny, but the next day it makes for great warm ups.

enjoyed it very much
DancingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #10  

Default Can't wait to try these!

These sound FANTASTIC!! I do desperately miss eating Mexican food! YUMM YUMM for the enchiladini's!!!
kimkim9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #11  
Keep Moving Forward!

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Height: 5'8''

Anyone else having an problem with this being a bit runny? It tasted great, but it was a bit soupy this evening.
happiness seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #12  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

Yes...I love this recipe but mine is always soupy. I can't figure it out either. I thought maybe it was the cottage cheese but I thought I drained it enough. Then I thought maybe it was the beans....but I don't know.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #13  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I made this for the first time Sunday. Mine was so soupy that we had to eat it in bowls with spoons. I think it was Chicken enchiladini soup! BUT...it was delicious. I know where all the water came from...I boiled the chicken in a bunch of spices and added the water back into the shredded chicken in the fridge for the night. I didn't drain the chicken and I should have! Plus I was out of cottage cheese so I made a mixture of ff greek yogurt, lf sour cream and some grated cheddar cheese.
It was yummy soup! Next time, I'll try to stick with the original recipe.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #14  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

If you're having a problem with it being runny, you could always add an egg with the cheese mixture. It should be enough of a binding agent to keep it together when serving. It will also add more protein!

If calories are a problem, stick with just egg whites, but use two egg whites instead of one whole egg.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #15  
Keep Moving Forward!

S/C/G: 190/175/140

Height: 5'8''

I will have to try that. It stayed together for serving but all the "juice" ran out. It was actually better the next day. I also added some mushrooms, peppers, and onions in with the beans! Yum Yum and gets more of those veggies in!
happiness seeker is offline   Reply With Quote