Chicken Cheesesteak Saute

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I had this for dinner tonight. I'm sure this could also be made with lean, thinly sliced beef. Enjoy!

1/4 Cup Light italian dressing (NSA)
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 6 chicken breast tenderloins, sliced thinly
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/4 cup sliced onions
    1/4 cup sliced bell pepper (red or green)
    1 TBSP olive oil
    2 slices light provolone cheese

Marinate chicken breasts in italian dressing, in a plastic bag, for at least two hours; drain well. After marinating, heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat for about two minutes. Sprinkle chicken with garlic and onion powder. Add chicken to skillet, and sear chicken until brown on both sides (about 2 minutes per side). Add mushrooms, onions, and bell pepper. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes longer (7 - 8 minutes if using thick breasts). Tear cheese into small pieces and place on top of mixture. Place top on skillet and let sit for one to two minutes.
  • Sounds yummy. I can't find reduced fat provolone anywhere.
  • Sargento makes a reduced fat provolone, I can usually find it at Walmart.

This recipe sounds good! It would be great on whole wheat tortillas or as a stuffing in pita bread on Phase 2.
  • Quote: Sounds yummy. I can't find reduced fat provolone anywhere.
    I'm sure you could use reduced fat swiss or mozzarella and it would come out just as good.
  • Oh, wow, GEM, this sounds delicious. I still have some chicken breasts for tomorrow night, I think this will be what I do with them if I can find the cheese. Love provolone, so yummy.
  • I changed my mind about about filets and made this tonight instead, and OMG so good. Thanks for the recipe
  • Glad you enjoyed it! I can't believe it's diet food!!!!
  • Had this for dinner last night, it was great! The only thing I did differently was that I removed the chicken after it was seared and used a little chickenbroth in the veggies to soften them up. Extremely good!
    Thanks!
  • I have put this on my Phase 1 menu and plan on having this for dinner one night. I might use swiss cheese instead so I don't have to get a bunch of different cheeses, since I'm on a budget.

Your recipe sounds delicious!
  • Tried this tonight, very quick and easy and I am all about that. Tasty too, and the kids gave it a thumbs up!
  • Making this for dinner tonight with garlic wilted spinach - I've been looking forward to it all day. Seems very comfort food-y with all the cheese and stuff.
  • I must say, this is one of my favorite phase 1 meals. I absolutely love it. It is so comforting with the cheese. I had it tonight with spinach and spaghetti squash. Delicious!
  • This sounds really good. Can you give me a brand of dressing? I haven't been able to find may that are labeled 'no sugar added'.

Thanks!
  • Quote: This sounds really good. Can you give me a brand of dressing? I haven't been able to find may that are labeled 'no sugar added'.

Thanks!
    For dressings, you may use one that is no more than 2 grams of sugar per serving. Newman's Own and Ken's Light are two that I use often.
  • I actually prefer to make my own dressing. Here's a good recipe (substituting splenda for the sugar): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-...-I/Detail.aspx