Old 09-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default Chinese Style Steamed Chicken

Want some Chinese food but don't want all the calories & sodium? Try this version that I made last night from The South Beach Diet: Quick & Easy Cookbook. Since I don't have a steamer.... I'm going to list both ways to make it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Recipe: Chinese Style Steamed Chicken
My Version: Chinese Style Baked Chicken
Family Rating:
Nutrition At A Glance: 220 calories, 2.5g fat, 1/2g saturated fat, 42g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 430mg sodium
Servings: 4
Ingredients:
  • 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups of broccoli florets

Instructions to Steam:
  • Fill bottom part of steamer with 1 inch of water; bring to boil.
  • Toss chicken with garlic, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes, coating breasts well.
  • Place chicken in the steamer basket, pouring remaining soy sauce mixture over ckicken.
  • Lower basket into water container, reduce to a rapid simmer, and cover with a lid.
  • Steam for 5 minutes.
  • Turn chicken breasts, add broccoli, cover, and continue steaming until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender, 5 to 6 minutes more.
  • Serve hot.

Instructions to Bake:
  • Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • Fill a medium pot with hot water and bring to rapid boil.
  • Add broccoli to the pot and let boil until desired tenderness.
  • Toss chicken with garlic, ginger, scallions, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes, coating breasts well.
  • Place a sheet of aluminum on a large baking sheet. Spray lightly with baking spray.
  • Place marinated chicken on the baking sheet; pour remaining soy sauce mixture over the chicken.
  • Bake for approx 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Turn breasts half way through cooking time.
  • For sauce to cover the broccoli or to use for dipping, make a second batch of the marinade and heat on low heat in a small sauce pan.
  • Serve hot.
*Cooking times may vary due to differences in cookware and oven tempurates.
chellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'1

sounds great, and easy too! I'll have to try that one this weekend since that is when I usually crave chinese....
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote