Pork and Pepper Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

• From the South Beach Diet Cookbook
    When you're in a real hurry, use leftover pork (or chicken) and jarred roasted peppers instead of starting with fresh. Just warm them in the microwave.

1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper (I usually just use the red)
    1 yellow bell pepper
    1/2 pound lean pork tenderloin
    1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
    2 cups red or green cabbage, thinly sliced (I used more)
    2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 cup sugar-free balsamic vinaigrette dressing
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded reduced-fat Muenster or mozzarella cheese (I normally skip)

Preheat the broiler. Place the bell peppers on a broiler pan and cook 4" from the heat, turning occasionally, until the skin is bubbly and browned all over. Place in a paper bag, seal and set aside for 5 minutes, or until cool enough to handle. Remove, halve, and discard the skin, ribs, and seeds. Cut the peppers into strips. (Or just use jarred)

Place the pork on the broiler pan and cook 12 minutes, turning once, or until a thermometer inserted in center reaches 155 degrees F and the juices run clear. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into thin slices.

Warm the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cabbage, celery, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until tender.

Divide the cabbage mixture among 4 plates. Arrange the peppers and pork on top. Drizzle each with dressing and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.

Makes 4 servings

Per serving:
    194 calories, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 16g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 43 mg cholesterol, 631 mg sodium
  • couple adaptations
    Can you blister peppers in the oven? My broiler is right above the floor and I'm not that hot at getting of the floor
    I have loin chops would that be ok?
    one more thing
    Could I be totally lazy and use Coleslaw Mix (ph2) or regular bagged greens? and saute?
  • I have no idea if you could blister the peppers in the onion. I kind of doubt it but you certainly could buy the roasted red peppers.

Since you cook the pork separately from the rest you could certainly cook pork loin chops. You could really use any type of meat but I do like pork with this.

coleslaw mix could be used but the texture would be a bit different. I like using the cabbage and it is pretty easy to cut up.