3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > South Beach Diet > South Beach Recipes > Entrees - Phase 1

Portobello burgers - vegetarian

Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 AM   #1
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Portobello burgers - vegetarian

Oh, these were soooo good! I got this recipe from The South Beach Diet Quick and Easy Cookbook (p. 255). It is "rated" for Phase 1.

Portobello Burgers
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes

1 c textured vegetable protein (TVP) - I couldn't find any TVP so I substitued a scant cup of vegan soy crumbles (the stuff that's supposed to resemble ground meat).
4 oz. provolone cheese, shredded (1 c) - I had to buy sliced provolone from the deli and cut it up fine.
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium portobello mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, coarsely grated - I used my cheese grater and it worked fine.
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), drained and chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine TVP, cheese, egg, 3/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper in a mixing bowl; stir to mix well. (Since I didn't have any TVP, I didn't add it in this step.)
Heat 2 T of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, onion, and zucchini (I added the soy crumbles here); saute, stirring often, until vegetables are softened and liquid is evaporated, 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
Add vegetable mixture to egg mixture; stir to mix well. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.
Shape vegetable mixture into 6 (3-inch) patties. Heat remaining oil in a clean skillet over medium heat. (Next time I will use Pam for this step.) Cook patties, turning once with a wide spatula, until lightly browned, 3 minutes per side.

I served these with a topping of lettuce and a tomato slice and a side of spinach (frozen, steamed, with a dash of Kosher salt, pepper, and a splash of the olive oil from the sundried tomatoes.

Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: (from the book)
230 calories, 16 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 14 g protein, 11 g carbohydrates, 4 g dietary fiber, 190 mg sodium

tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.