Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Common appetite suppresants

Since people often come here asking about various commercial products that suppress appetites, I thought it'd be good to list out items that you know and may have around your house that can suppress your appetite. I'll start the things that I know:

1) Fiber - most diet pills contain some fiber because it works. You can get fiber naturally through whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Fiber supplements such as psyllium husk powder are readily available in the grocery or health food store.

2) Fat - Fat is filling. Of course we don't want to eat a high fat diet but you shouldn't be afraid of healthy fats such as those found in avocados, nuts or olive oil. Our body also needs some fat consumption in order to operate.

3) Protein - Protein is filling. One reason that many people have had success on higher protein diets is because they can feel satiated by the protein in their diets. Protein doesn't only mean meat but meat is a good source of protein. Protein can be found in nuts, beans, vegetables and grains. Soy is also a good source of protein.

4) Water - Water takes up space so it helps your body feel fuller longer. Food such as fruit which has a high water content can help you feel fuller but so can drinking just some plain water.

5) Mint tea - not only is mint helpful for making you feel fuller but it can also help calm down tummy aches.

6) Lemon - Drinking some water with lemon juice can help push off those cravings. I imagine eating a lemon would have a similar effect plus the benefit of fiber.

7) diluted 100% pure cranberry juice - This is one I recently found out about and I believe it works. I have been only able to find it in health food stores and you have to be careful about reading labels because some juices will claim to be 100% juice and they are cranberry juice but in reality they are a blend. Anyway, if you dilute a small amount of 100% pure cranberry juice into water, it will help give you a feeling of fullness.

Ok that is my list. Anyone have anything else?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #2  
Mel

A picture of myself 6 years ago

Mel
Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Or Mel, maybe instead of picture of myself or a old picture of you, maybe I could have a CURRENT picture of you. That oughta keep my appetite supressed. Huh, what do ya think?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

Umm, that may have not come out right. I meant your current picture would be MOTIVATION for me, so therefore it would supress my appetite.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/133/125

Height: 5'7"

I think coffee is great. Two cups with two tablespoons of fat free evaporated milk in each cup for snack and I feel full till dinner.

I also have a photo album with some pics of me two years ago when I was 270 - 285. I look at it when I feel a craving for something bad, cause when I overeat I binge, and typically the feeling goes right away.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Cinnamon is a natural appetite suppressant. Maybe not advisable to take chewing gum, as it can induce appetite in some people, but there are cinnamon flavored teas and you could always add a dash to something you are already eating/drinking to make it more filling.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #7  

After I eat dinner I often feel a craving for something sweet and desserty, instead, I pop in a piece of sugarfree gum, and I'm satisfied
Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

For me personally, I can't chew gum for very long. A few minutes at best, after that time it actually starts my stomach rumbling and makes me hungry.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #9  
Mel

The photo comment was real, but I'm also a fan of decaf coffee (made with cinnamon in the grounds), chicken broth, and lots of sugar free gum.

Brushing and flossing is sometimes enough to dissuade me from eating again at night.

I've also just learned that being a little hungry sometimes is NOT going to kill me. Unlike a lot of other posters, to lose or maintain, I am hungry despite eating 5-6 meals a day of mostly whole foods, lots of protein, vegies, healthy fats, healthy carbs and water.

Staying BUSY is also a great appetite supressant!

Mel
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Mel - your picture comment is funny but yeah I think I need to look at my before pictures more often

I didn't know about cinnamon so that is good to know. I like chai tea which commercial blends use quite a bit of cinnamon.

Also about the brushing teeth - I just read the other day (I think on Dr Weil's site) that there was some study done on people who brush their teeth after every meal. Apparently they eat less than those that don't.

I have also learned to accept hunger and that is it is ok to be a little hungry but I try to help my body because I know if I let that little hunger turn into ravenous hunger, I'm in trouble.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #11  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Apples and watermelon, especially late at night when I'm craving something sweet.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
For me personally, I can't chew gum for very long. A few minutes at best, after that time it actually starts my stomach rumbling and makes me hungry.
If your stomach starts rumbling having food would probably be the best option. You could try a 1/3 cup of All-Bran Buds. They're 44% of your daily intake of fibre and only 70 calories. And because there's all that fibre, they really fill you up. Especially if you drink lots of water too.

And as far as gum goes, maybe try switching flavours OR try some Velamints. They even have chocolate flavoured ones. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I've used those as a replacement for their much higher calorie relatives before.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #13  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

Herbal teas! Celestial Seasonings has an Apple Cinnamon Spice that seems like you're eating a snack. Don't add any sweetners or cream or you may just set off your digestive hormones, and end up hungrier.
I do the full on floss, brush, mouthwash, fluoride rinse some evenings and it helps me keep from snacking after that.
Teeth Whitening strips - granted you can't do these all the time, but you can't eat or drink for the 30 mins you keep them in, so it helps me.
Brisk Walk
I think you guys covered everything else that works for me.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

For me, a skim milk smoothie (add fruit for fiber, some bran if you want, etc.) keeps me going through the afternoon!
Closed Thread