Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #1  
Editrix

Question Glucomannan?

Forgive me if this has been discussed in a different thread. There was a huge article about this in this week's Woman's World or First for Women. A fiber supplement, it supposedly decreases your hunger AND lowers your total cholesterol.

Here is its description on the Nutrition Express Web site:

"Glucomannan fiber from konjac root; To control appetite, aid weight loss and promote health.

"Glucomannan fiber is produced from konjac root and is capable of absorbing water and dietary fats. Taken with water, glucomannan fiber aids weight loss by creating a comfortable sense of fullness, suppressing your appetite and reducing caloric intake. Studies have shown glucomannan to be a safe and effective way to lose weight, especially if combined with a fat-burning diet and exercise plan.

"Glucomannan also minimizes the metabolic impact of meals by slowing the release of food calories into your system. This reduces the insulin response, a key factor in maintaining a balanced and energizing metabolism. As a soluble fiber, glucomannan may help to manage cholesterol levels. As a bulk-forming fiber, glucomannan also assists in proper elimination."

Anyone here tried it? Any results?

Thanks, all!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I haven't tried that but I know fiber in general helps control your appetite. I use psyllium husk powder (which is the main ingredient in metamucil) and it definitely helps keep me fuller longer.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #3  
it's always something

I'm not very familiar with it, other than having heard some warnings.

WebMd has this to say:

Quote:
Glucomannan. Made from the root of Amorphophallus Konjac, glucomannan is said to contribute to weight loss by delaying the absorption of glucose from the intestines. Small limited studies have shown glucomannan to be effective in decreasing body weight. This effect is believed to be due to a "feeling of fullness" which may be due to the swelling of the glucomannan in the gut once it has been exposed to liquids. However, esophageal obstruction has been reported in several people taking glucomannan. Glucomannan and glucomannan-containing products have been banned in several countries due to the high incidence of gastrointestinal obstruction. Glucomannan should not be used by people with a previous history of gastrointestinal obstruction, and caution should be used in diabetics.
Sounds like something to be very careful with.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #4  

I've tried it. It has a VERY WEIRD smell, but if you rinse it and parboil it, it goes away. It was Ok with spaghetti sauce or some other strong flavored sauce like soy. By itself it tastes like nothing. If you really miss pasta and don't want the carbs, it might be Ok. I prefer to use something like Barilla Plus that has flax and a little more flavor.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #5  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I read about this in Women's World. It's suppose to be very good. GNC has a pill that contains this in their weight loss line. The local store can't keep it in stock when they do get it. I also checked vitaminshoppe.com and THEY don't have any of the three labels listed in Women's World in stock. It seems to be VERY popular. And yes, I read that even the pills can expand when swallowed, so it says to drink plenty of water after taking it. It didn't say anything about once it was in the stomach or intestinal track, but there may be problems there too. Who knows.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #6  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

I use it in the form of the product Grapefruit Plus (which is mostly glucomannan and a little grapefruit juice extract). I get it at Wal Mart and most of the grocery stores carry it (it's on a hang card with the Dexatrim and such).

The blockage happens because people didn't drink a full glass of water with it, as the instructions tell you to do.

I've used this product on and off for quite some time, have had no adverse reactions, and it sure does help.

The Grapefruit Plus form of glucomannan comes as a yellow pill (as opposed to a gelcap) and I'm a big fan of the product. I used the psyllium too and like this better.

Just my .02 worth...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #7  
Editrix

Default Thanks for the reply

I've been using it a few weeks now and have lost two pounds. If taken before meals, it DOES decrease your appetite. It also makes me more regular AND I think it helps me digest food more efficiently. I take three pills 20 minutes before meals with a full glass of water. So is it a big help? Dunno. (Maybe it's the glasses of water that are helping!) But I know it doesn't hurt!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #8  

I am taking it and it is working pretty well, I haven't had any problems so far.
Closed Thread