Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default The Next Biggest Thing

There was a programme on CBC last night called "Diet Confidential". It was mostly about how in the last few decades the diet book industry has grown tremendously. One quote the caught my attention went something like this "It is the only industry that flourishes because of it's failures."

Marketting was a huge target. They followed one author's less than successful attempt to get a book written (studies funded by the sugar growers council) which states that artificial sweeteners are making us fat.

There was quite a bit of history, reinforcing the view that there is nothing new under the dieting sun. The narrator stated once that you don't hear much about calories any more. I guffawed!

They progessed from the stringency of Atkins thru the more temporate South Beach to French Women and the conjecture seems to be that 'more balanced eating' is the next happening thing.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been trying to give up artificial sweeteners, but it is hard. They are in a lot of things. I've given up drinking anything with artificial sweeteners but my protein powder still has it. I tried looking at some plain fudge popsicles in the grocery store and those have artificial sweeteners. Oh well. If only my protein powder has it, then I don't mind so much.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #3  

Another quote I remember went something like this. "Most people would be better off if they just walked to work!"
Old 06-14-2006, 06:24 PM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
and the conjecture seems to be that 'more balanced eating' is the next happening thing.
I've felt that way for a long time. I think we're tired of the gimmicks and it's time to get back to basics. I also think calorie counting, which went out of style ages ago because it just wasn't catchy enough on a book title, is going to be big again soon. I really would have loved to have seen the program.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:04 PM   #5  

I wonder if you could get a tape maybe. The CBC is pretty people oriented. I'll check. Or request a viewing on your local PBS ???
Old 06-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #6  

Here's a link to the synopsis

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/dietconfidential.html
Old 06-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #7  
Collie Mommie

Quote:
Another quote I remember went something like this. "Most people would be better off if they just walked to work!"
While I absolutely agree with that, it is impossible for me to do, or even to bike it, as the distance is over 20 miles and you have to take an interstate/highway.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #8  

Everybody urban thinks everybody is urban Eighteen miles for me!
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
the conjecture seems to be that 'more balanced eating' is the next happening thing.
LOL Maybe that is why it is working for me. Suddenly I am "with it."
Closed Thread