Biotin?

• Ok... I was curious to know if there are any benifits to taking the suppliment Biotin? and if so what are they?
  • It hasn't affected weight loss any, but it has done wonders for my hair and nails (which is actually why I started taking it). I can tell a difference when I've not taken it for a couple days. My nails start chipping off or breaking completely. My hair's also grown quite a bit since I started taking it.
  • Thanks for your help..., my brother gave them to me and told me it was good for my skin and hair but it didnt say otherwise on the bottle so I needed to check it out. I definitly need help with my skin its been all crazy ever since I started dieting even with all the water Im drinking
  • My hair began to fall out about a year ago (i'd clog the shower drain every time I washed it) and I did lots of research and tried lots of things and the only thing that really worked was biotin. Its water-soluble so you can't get too much of it and I take about 3000mcg of it daily and my hair looks great now!
  • Ive also had hair fall out in clumps over the past few years and like you clogged up drains. I also clogged up the inside of a my vacuum cleaner and it burned the thing up. Hopfully this will help with that then. How long did you have to use it before you started to notice your hair and skin looking healthier?
  • I've been taking Biotin for over 2 years (1500 mcg daily)...My hairdresser rec. it after he witnessed what I had done to myself (never try to straighten your own hair with a chemical home process-----OY!) i had terrible breakage. The biotin helped my hair grow and I lose very few in the comb or drain.
  • cool, i will have to try this supplement. can you buy it anywhere?
  • This sounds interesting! I just googled it and found an article on WebMD about biotin and hair loss that looks helpful.

Gagirl, you should be able to find it at any drugstore or Walmart.
  • I buy the 1500 mcg at Walmart for about $5-6.00.

I have to say, I am a fine textured *enhanced* blonde, but I have a LOT of hair. I wash and blow dry every day, my hairdresser says there is very little damage...(Bedhead products). There is also a topical Biotin spray you might be able to find it at a vitamin specialty shop.
  • I just bought some one a day carbsmart vitamins, which contain biotin. They claim on the bottle that biotin helps the body metabolize and break down fat and protiens, which is supposed to support weight loss. Don't know if it actually does, that's just what the bottle says.....
  • Biotin
    First time poster. Long time lurker.

This product sounds like it might be worth trying and it doesn't appear to be too expensive. I'll let you know if it works.
  • Biotin works great for hair and nails! I just bought a new bottle from Andrew Lessmans at HSN
  • I used to buy his Hair, skin & nails too....but now get the 1500 mcg of Biotin at Walmart for $4.72 and take sub-lingual B-complex...same results or better for me.
  • Biotin is a coenzyme needed for many enzymes in your body to function properly. I don't think it's guaranteed to work (I worked in a lab and did research with biotin before) but theoretically it should help you.