3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #1

Default Phentermine

I've recently started taking Phentermine and was wondering if I'm the only person out there taking this prescription? I've heard of all the negative things that happened with the Phen-Fen combination but nothing has been said since about only Phentermine... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but since my doctor prescribed it I'm not that worried.

Any comments/experience would be appreciated!!
Sassy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
onmyway

I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then i fell in love, stop going to the doctor, started cooking and gain it all back then some. I never had any negative side effects.

LABOR DAY CHALLENGE

http://weightsupastar.blogspot.com/
http://public.fotki.com/reign2be/[
reign2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Kim

I've taken it 3 or 4 times and the last time I started having shortness of breath and palpitations and had to quit taking it. Just be aware that there are side effects and discontinue if you start to have any.

kimberlydrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Uber-Moderator!!

We've had several threads regarding Phentermine and prescription diet drugs in the recent past:

DIET DRUGS_--I need your opinion!!!

Diet medication Rx questions

Xenical (also mentions Phentermine)

Adipex?

Keep in mind that not only from what I've heard and read, but also the Physicians Desk Reference, says that Phentermine is only to be used in a short term - just like speed (which Phentermine is, basically) people's systems usually build up a tolerance to the drug which renders it ineffective.

Personally, if I WAS going to take this - I would be under the very close supervision of my personal physican!
September 1996: 155 pounds (-110 lbs)
*LIVING at: 145-149 pounds, size 4/6 (-116/120 lbs)

*Maintenance = LIVING.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. Please see your physician before taking advice found on the internet.

Wanna know how I lost the weight and have kept it off for over 16 years? Click here!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #5

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Default Yes

I have used phentermine in the past to lose weight, and it did work. I never had any BAD side effects, but had to be careful not to get overheated. It gave me lots more energy, so I moved around alot more and I think that's what caused the heart palpitations the few times I did feel them. I'm considering taking them again....I'm doing Atkin's now, but thinking about trying them again.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #6

S/C/G: 160.5/158.5/135

I have used it several times in the past and it worked wonderfully BUT there was no way to keep the weight off once I stopped taking it. I won't use it again for that reason. I need a more realistic lifestyle and diet change.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
Searching for balance

S/C/G: 247/241.2/150

Height: 5'6 - Female

I just filled my prescription for phentermine, I start taking it tommorow!

Shannon
Old 04-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #8

have taken it in the past (about a year ago for 3mos) and it worked. The only side effect it had on me was cotton mouth.
I've come down to a size 12 from a size 24. I recently had all my excess skin removed via tummy tuck and I love it! I feel great, I look great and continue to watch what I eat and to walk daily. I haven't been released yet to start back on working out, but look to be at my next appointment, May 4th.
I'm so very excited!
cryscket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
prepare for the BEST time

my doctor gave me a scrip for the resin based type of phentermine, (Ionamin) which releases slower with few "speedy" effects.........but I've only used it intermittently for a few days at a time, but with good success in curbing my appetite. no side effects for me, no elevated BP, just cotton mouth and a bit of constipation...be sure to include FIBER.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:44 AM   #10
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then everyone started having heart problems, so they yanked me off it. I gained it all back. I never had any negative side effects, except for not being hungry. Those last few days I was eating like, a serving of baby carrots, a yogurt & a boneless skinless chicken breast half. In a day. I would've preferred to have been weaned off it, but whatever.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #11
prepare for the BEST time

Phentermine was the 1/2 of the Phen-Fen that did not cause problems....it was Fenlueromine? (sp) that caused pulmonary abnormalities (I think...can't be sure and no time to look it up).....one of the side effects of stopping a regular dose of phentermine suddenly is supposed to be a lack of energy. My doctor said to wean off.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I take it (I only take 1/2 pill) and have had NO side effects, and doesn't make me hyper. I have lost 23 pounds since March 25, 2006 -- yes it does curb my hunger.

Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #13
Mamadoodle

S/C/G: 210/200/135

I used it last year to lose about 30 lbs. But I got off of it and gained it all back.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM   #14

Height: 5 ft 3 in

cafe ole-wow that's alot for a month! Are you doing atkin's too? I think I saw your name on that board. I ask because I've been doing atkin's for a month now, and I'm about to start taking phentermine again myself, as soon as my script comes in. Just want to see if anyone has combined that diet with a prescription.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #15

I'm hoping this thread will stay alive...

I started Phentermine and love the energy that I have. I literally feel like:

I don't have much of an appetite but I do eat. There's no point in getting down to 500 calories per day only to go off the Phen and gain it all back. Honestly, the best part of this whole thing is the energy I have for working out. I've been jogging 3 miles per day now (before I couldn't even do 1 mile) and I'm slowly incorporating weights.

I feel like Phen has given me the opportunity to not only lose the excess weight but a chance to "start over" with a new lifestyle. I'm going to keep up the exercise and watch what I eat even after the Phen runs out.
Sassy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.