3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Phentermine (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/81701-phentermine.html)

Sassy06 04-14-2006 03:40 PM

Phentermine

I've recently started taking Phentermine and was wondering if I'm the only person out there taking this prescription? I've heard of all the negative things that happened with the Phen-Fen combination but nothing has been said since about only Phentermine... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but since my doctor prescribed it I'm not that worried.

Any comments/experience would be appreciated!!

reign2be 04-14-2006 04:03 PM

I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then i fell in love, stop going to the doctor, started cooking and gain it all back then some. I never had any negative side effects.

kimberlydrn 04-14-2006 04:15 PM

I've taken it 3 or 4 times and the last time I started having shortness of breath and palpitations and had to quit taking it. Just be aware that there are side effects and discontinue if you start to have any.

MrsJim 04-14-2006 08:26 PM

We've had several threads regarding Phentermine and prescription diet drugs in the recent past:

DIET DRUGS_--I need your opinion!!!

Diet medication Rx questions

Xenical (also mentions Phentermine)

Adipex?

Keep in mind that not only from what I've heard and read, but also the Physicians Desk Reference, says that Phentermine is only to be used in a short term - just like speed (which Phentermine is, basically) people's systems usually build up a tolerance to the drug which renders it ineffective.

Personally, if I WAS going to take this - I would be under the very close supervision of my personal physican!

rebeleagle1965 04-21-2006 01:06 AM

Yes

I have used phentermine in the past to lose weight, and it did work. I never had any BAD side effects, but had to be careful not to get overheated. It gave me lots more energy, so I moved around alot more and I think that's what caused the heart palpitations the few times I did feel them. I'm considering taking them again....I'm doing Atkin's now, but thinking about trying them again.

HeatherR 04-21-2006 01:39 AM

I have used it several times in the past and it worked wonderfully BUT there was no way to keep the weight off once I stopped taking it. I won't use it again for that reason. I need a more realistic lifestyle and diet change.

Irishowl 04-21-2006 02:57 AM

I just filled my prescription for phentermine, I start taking it tommorow!

Shannon

cryscket 04-23-2006 04:53 PM

have taken it in the past (about a year ago for 3mos) and it worked. The only side effect it had on me was cotton mouth.
I've come down to a size 12 from a size 24. I recently had all my excess skin removed via tummy tuck and I love it! I feel great, I look great and continue to watch what I eat and to walk daily. I haven't been released yet to start back on working out, but look to be at my next appointment, May 4th.
I'm so very excited!:carrot:

marbleflys 04-23-2006 04:59 PM

my doctor gave me a scrip for the resin based type of phentermine, (Ionamin) which releases slower with few "speedy" effects.........but I've only used it intermittently for a few days at a time, but with good success in curbing my appetite. no side effects for me, no elevated BP, just cotton mouth and a bit of constipation...be sure to include FIBER.

SuchAPrettyFace 04-24-2006 01:44 AM

I took phentermine years ago and lost about 70lbs, but then everyone started having heart problems, so they yanked me off it. I gained it all back. I never had any negative side effects, except for not being hungry. Those last few days I was eating like, a serving of baby carrots, a yogurt & a boneless skinless chicken breast half. In a day. I would've preferred to have been weaned off it, but whatever. :)

marbleflys 04-24-2006 10:35 AM

Phentermine was the 1/2 of the Phen-Fen that did not cause problems....it was Fenlueromine? (sp) that caused pulmonary abnormalities (I think...can't be sure and no time to look it up).....one of the side effects of stopping a regular dose of phentermine suddenly is supposed to be a lack of energy. My doctor said to wean off.

Cafe Ole 04-24-2006 10:50 AM

I take it (I only take 1/2 pill) and have had NO side effects, and doesn't make me hyper. I have lost 23 pounds since March 25, 2006 -- yes it does curb my hunger.

Mamadoodle 04-25-2006 05:32 PM

I used it last year to lose about 30 lbs. But I got off of it and gained it all back. :(

rebeleagle1965 04-25-2006 06:20 PM

cafe ole-wow that's alot for a month! Are you doing atkin's too? I think I saw your name on that board. I ask because I've been doing atkin's for a month now, and I'm about to start taking phentermine again myself, as soon as my script comes in. Just want to see if anyone has combined that diet with a prescription.

Sassy06 04-28-2006 03:03 PM

I'm hoping this thread will stay alive...

I started Phentermine and love the energy that I have. I literally feel like: :dance:

I don't have much of an appetite but I do eat. There's no point in getting down to 500 calories per day only to go off the Phen and gain it all back. Honestly, the best part of this whole thing is the energy I have for working out. I've been jogging 3 miles per day now (before I couldn't even do 1 mile) and I'm slowly incorporating weights.

I feel like Phen has given me the opportunity to not only lose the excess weight but a chance to "start over" with a new lifestyle. I'm going to keep up the exercise and watch what I eat even after the Phen runs out.