3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #121

S/C/G: 298/230/150

Does anyone know if it will cause you to lose weight without diet and exercise? Just curious.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #122
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

phentermine is an appetite suppresant so... it is supposed to help with dieting but if somehow you ate the same and exercise the same then you won't lose weight.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #123

I started phentermine on 1-17-09 I was at my doctors for a recheck of something else when we started talking about my weight. She mentioned diet pills and I said YES PLEASE! I feel like before I was living to eat and now I just eat 3 meals a day and they are all healthy sensible meals...this is how it should be! I am not counting things or stressing over things...when I do that I lose steam and it seems more work to keep track of everything and I stray very easily.
I have done so many diets in the past 2 years and none of them have ever gave me hope that I can actually do this! I have done Kim-kins, Adkins, Micheal Thurmond 6 week body makeover, worked out at curves for a year....etc

So what I am doing now is, I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast great recipe in the biggest loser family cook book for making it on the stove with all fruit for flavoring.
Then for lunch I eat a lean cuisine meal, and for dinner a sensible home cooked meal.
I am also working out to the biggest loser boot camp DVD with Bob Harper and it is a GREAT workout! The Dr. suggested I build up to 1 hour each day and I am struggling to get there but am getting better and stronger each day!
I am drinking lots and lots of water due to the cotton mouth but that is fine with me because before this I would maybe drink 1 glass of water besides my 2 cups of coffee for the day and that was it! I hated water! Now I NEED it all the time!
The first few days was weird...I felt like I had a very flat mood no highs or lows I was just kind of here. I had a weird swimmy feeling in my head which is hard to describe but it was weird. I also had TONS of energy! I was going to bed around 3:30 in the morning and had to get up to get the kids to school when the alarm woudl go off at 6:25!

I have been on it for 2 weeks now and have lost 11 pounds so far! I am thrilled!

I only got the RX for 1 month and then I go in for a recheck to see how I am doing on it, check my weight loss, blood pressure...etc. then she will give me the other 5 months giving me a total of 6 months on Phen. She said then I need to be off for 6 months and then she will only ever write me for another 6 more months for any period in my life while I am in her care. If I cant get it by then then it isnt helping me.
My meds were filled at Walmart and only cost me $28 for the 1 month.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #124

S/C/G: 175/175/145

Height: 5"9

Hey, y'all. Here's my personal experience; take it for what it's worth, and nobody has to agree with me, but it may be interesting for some to know. I have never taken phentermine. I *have* taken amphetamines by prescription, but I could not stay awake for anything and was falling asleep all day long, so my doctor switched me to Ritalin. Ritalin is an amphetamine derivative, and people do lose or maintain lower weights on it, just like with the amphetamines themselves (and phentermine). However, only about 5% of the adult population can appropriately take the prescription stimulants that are Schedule II drugs in the long run-- you need to have very specific neurological problems with your prefrontal lobes, as I do. (Falling asleep on amphetamines is definitely one of the signs. ) They are VERY dangerous for long-term use for that other 95%. That's why they are Schedule II drugs (cocaine is another Schedule II!) I don't know exactly how phentermine is related to them, but that's what the situation is with the amphetamines themselves, and that's why they are so strictly regulated and illegal in most instances. So-- food for thought.
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:41 PM   #125

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I took Ianomine and it was truly magical, the only diet pill that actually worked. I lost interest in eating, I lost weight and felt fantastic but alas, it didn't "stick" It did for awhile but then I got pregnant, and well, it was all over after that. I wish I could have more but my doc won't give it to me
Leeesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #126

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

After reading this whole thread, I am excited about seeing my doctor Thursday. I am going to ask him for a prescription of Phen. My insurance won't cover it and I will only have enough money to get a 90 day supply but that is fine. All I want is to jump start this weight loss so I can exercise more. I have three stress fractures in my right foot and the extra weight, along with trying to work out is a lethal combination. There are some days I can barely walk! I need to get enough weight off in the beginning while I am motivated, to keep me exercising.
I am tired and could really use the extra energy too. I have 4 little boys...I NEED energy bad! LOL!
My plan is to take it as prescribed for 2 months and then start weaning myself off the last month. I don't want a sudden crash that I heard sometimes happen when coming off the drug.
Since I can only afford 3 months worth, I am really hoping my doctor is receptive to the idea. I am going to be honest with him, if he doesn't prescribe it, then I am going to a weight loss clinic. I am sure he'd much rather I be under his supervision, then some clinic.

irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #127
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

My thoughts on Phen

5yrs ago after the birth of my 4th daughter I took Phen for 11mons. I went from 236 to 142. Here is the thing, I ate whatever I want just less. NO working out what so ever. It was not good for me, for me I need things to be hard. I need to want it bad enough to say I did it myself.

So here I am, I was 233 on Nov 30 and today I am 212. I am going it myself and feel better than I have ever felt before. I am going the C25k and learning to live healthy.

So please take that for what it is worth. I have also had several friends and family members have the same issues.
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #128

S/C/G: 240/230/128

Height: 5'4

I have been looking for a legit place to buy online but after hearing so many people say they are probably fake if you order online I am nervous about it.
Dendrobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #129
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 221/ticker/150

Height: 5' 8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise View Post
Hey, y'all. Here's my personal experience; take it for what it's worth, and nobody has to agree with me, but it may be interesting for some to know. I have never taken phentermine. I *have* taken amphetamines by prescription, but I could not stay awake for anything and was falling asleep all day long, so my doctor switched me to Ritalin. Ritalin is an amphetamine derivative, and people do lose or maintain lower weights on it, just like with the amphetamines themselves (and phentermine). However, only about 5% of the adult population can appropriately take the prescription stimulants that are Schedule II drugs in the long run-- you need to have very specific neurological problems with your prefrontal lobes, as I do. (Falling asleep on amphetamines is definitely one of the signs. ) They are VERY dangerous for long-term use for that other 95%. That's why they are Schedule II drugs (cocaine is another Schedule II!) I don't know exactly how phentermine is related to them, but that's what the situation is with the amphetamines themselves, and that's why they are so strictly regulated and illegal in most instances. So-- food for thought.

Ritalin should be used for ADHD and fatigue, not weight loss. Phentermine is a schedule IV drug and cocaine is only schedule II because they use it for glaucoma patients in surgery to numb their eyes (not sure if there's other medical uses...don't feel like looking it up). There's also a drug that's used for nausea in cancer patients that has THC in it if anybody cares about that.
Anyway, ritalin is locked up as it is a narcotic, phentermine is not. Cocaine is not available in pharmacies, atleast not around here. I was actually surprised it is a schedule II. Just some info for you all.

aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #130
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 221/ticker/150

Height: 5' 8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobate View Post
I have been looking for a legit place to buy online but after hearing so many people say they are probably fake if you order online I am nervous about it.
You should look into getting a prescription from a real doctor. There's a lot of people out there that mess with pills and add harmful things to them. I was looking into getting them off the internet until I talked to our head pharmacist here. Not a good idea.

Last edited by aangel22 : 02-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #131

I have been taking meridia for three weeks and have lost 13lbs. Prior to starting this medication I researched the side effects to see if this would be the right medication for me and then went to discuss this with my Doctor. He was not pleased when I asked him for a prescription but I did not let up and he finally gave me a prescription. I have to go and see him every two weeks to have my blood pressure taken and to be weighed, so far he has agreed with me that this has given me the boost that I needed to start my weight loss journey. I did have some side effects at the beginning and they have passed, I think that when you take a diet supplement it works different for everyone. I would also like to mention that I am going to WW and exercise 3-4 times a week. In the end what it comes down to is portion control and exercise, this medication is not a magic pill that will take all my weight off I have to work hard to make this work.
Good luck everyone
timetoshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #132
Empress/Queen

I have lost more than 120 pounds over a period of years and believe me if there were a magic pill for weight loss and maintenance of a sensible body weight, I would have found it.

Some medications may help in the short run, hopefully anyone contemplating that route would go to their doctor for a prescription.

What totally blows my mind is that people would buy diet pills over the counter or online from dubious sources and put those substances into the body they are trying to make healthier through weight loss when it is totally impossible to know what's actually in uncontrolled products and even if what's in there is correctly stated on the label (doubtful), it's very hard to predict what it might do to a given individual's body, which might moreover have some medical condition, of which that body's owner is aware or unaware, that would make even normally safe ingredients dangerous or harmful.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #133
Just for today......

S/C/G: 275H/182/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Hey everyone,

I wanted to put my 2cents in. I started taking 1/2 Phentermine back the last part of October b/c I am going to Vegas to marry in May..... and my youngest son bet me I could not lost 65 pounds by then. I have lost 62 and I have roughly 8 weeks to go. Let me say that I have been in almost everyone's shoes that have posted here. I have taken this drug before to lose weight and gain it back. This time I am determined it is different. At 35 I am too old to do this yoyo thing..... and what makes me think this time is different? I have used this pill as a tool, not a cure all and end all. I have a treadmill desk at work, where I have built up to walk 3 hours a day (during an 8 hour period). I have changed my eating habits and I do what works for ME. Not for my friend, my fiance, or anyone else...... but what works for me.

I am going to give this my best shot to keep the weight off this time. There have been days that I have not taken my pill and I am a little hungrier than normal, but I am not going to give in. This pill to me, was just like weight loss surgery is supposed to be to many-- It is not going to fix my problem alone and permanently, but it did give me the boost that I needed.

Thanks for listening. I wish you all the best in your weight loss journey.
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #134

S/C/G: 254/249/135

Height: 5'4

Ok new to this site and this is my first post so please go easy...lol
I started using it back in June 2008 was faithful for 2 months and lost 15lbs. After that I stopped for a little while because it was getting a little pricey and I was able to keep off the 15lbs. I went yesterday to get back on it and hopefully this time Iíll be able to stay on it to reach my goal. Only side effects that I noticed were the dry mouth and sometimes I wasnít able to sleep at night but I fixed that by taking the 2nd dose earlier in the day.
Hope that helps
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 AM   #135
Empress/Queen

Side effects of dry mouth and not being able to sleep at night would worry me.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.