3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #91

Hi everyone, quick question. Is Adipex a generic for phentermine? I have been takking adipex and have lost quite a bit, like 30 lbs, but now I have noticed they aren't working like before. I have not lost weight now for 3 weeks. Any suggestions?

SpringManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM   #92

S/C/G: 235/221/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy06 View Post
I've recently started taking Phentermine and was wondering if I'm the only person out there taking this prescription? I've heard of all the negative things that happened with the Phen-Fen combination but nothing has been said since about only Phentermine... I'm a little nervous about the side effects but since my doctor prescribed it I'm not that worried.

Any comments/experience would be appreciated!!

I took Phen-Fen 10 years ago..... i LOVED it because I lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and felt great. I never had side effects, however my mother had a heart attack in my 6th week and the doctor wouldn't let me have it again. He was worried about the family heart health issues.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #93

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'4"

A friend told me about this. She said something about it being really expensive though. Does insurance not cover it?

MommytoGirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #94

S/C/G: 272/ticker/170

Height: 65.5 inches

Mommytogirls: it depends on your insurance. mine covers it but some do not. I lost 65 pound in 4 months the first time I took it. It does work but only for a short time and you will gain the weight back if you go back to eating the way you did. My advice would be to establish healthy habits that you can stick with and use the phentermine as that extra push. I think I might start taking it again myself just to get myself exercising...warning you will have EXTRA energy and you wont sleep much.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #95

I am taking the Phentermine along with weekly Adenosine inj w/ B12. Dr supervised. This is not a fly by clinic that has popped up. It is a local well know clinic in our small town. Several in our town are all on this diet. To get your RX refilled you have to visit the dr. Just pop in once a week for injections. I have lost 24 lbs. in 2 months. Adenosine is is something that our body already produces and it is used to treat fatigue. Those patients saw their waistlines getting slimmer and that is why it is being used in weightloss. (that is how she explained briefly) Dr requires us to journal our food and exercise. follow a 1200 calorie diet (similar to a diabetic plan) although I do not follow the diabetic plan, I try to stay close. And exercise is required 3x week, but she prefers 5x.
I am taking a water pill...after the first month on the phentermine my BP increased slightly and I was retaining too much fluid on my legs. I only take 1/2 HCTZ when I have that tight feeling (like my rings) about every other day. I have not been dehydrated and my BP was lower this last visit. I am still holding a little more water than she would like, so I will continue the HCTZ another month and see how it goes.

I know all of the horror stories about phentermine, but I think that I am being well supervised. If I can get my weight down to a reasonable weight I expect to gain some back when I stop the meds, but also, I have, as a result of the medical care, the know how and the want to, to monitor my eating habits and control what I eat and how much I gain back...something that not even WW was successful teaching me.
total of 24 lbs!
missionaccomplished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #96

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

Default i go to the doctors office tomorrow.

i go to the doctors office tomorrow. I am a little nervous. . .ill let you know how it goes, any suggestions about it???????

GOAL WEIGHT

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry...-A.H
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #97

I signed up to share my phentermine experiences. I started taking it one week ago in conjunction with being on WW. I lost 7.5 lbs. The problem? I have been experiencing extreme shortness of breath to the point where I can't take a deep enough breath and I am yawning all day.

I am a very active person, I work outside, and I regularly walk and jog without losing my breath. So, when I couldn't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate, I knew it was from the phen. I also got extremely depressed after being on it for about 3 days. Those first couple of days, yes, I had tons of energy and cleaned the whole house and even shampooed the carpets.

But after that, I was miserably depressed and couldn't breathe. I stopped taking it for one day to be sure it was the pill and sure enough I was back to my happy self who could exercise and go all day without gasping for air.

I had bloodwork done and a routine physical before starting the medication per the doctor's requirements and there was nothing to indicate that I would be adversely affected. But I am definitely discontinuing the drug and just sticking to WW's. The shortness of breath is listed as a severe side effect and it definitely scared me.
CMinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #98
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I took phen years ago and lost 30 lbs. I stopped when I got down to goal. However, I didn't like the sleepless nights and the anxiety attacks (they kept me up too). But I stuck with it because I liked the feeling of not wanting to eat.

I tried it again briefly 2 years ago (when I was up 30 lbs again) and it didn't work anymore. I wanted to eat AND I experienced all those bad side effects again. Stopped right away and will not go back to it. I am now heavier than I was when I began taking it the first time. *sigh*

Am I glad I took it in the first place? I don't know. I hope down the line I don't come up with some condition that was brought on because of the pill. I worry about that.

Heidi
Old 12-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMinGA View Post
I signed up to share my phentermine experiences. I started taking it one week ago in conjunction with being on WW. I lost 7.5 lbs. The problem? I have been experiencing extreme shortness of breath to the point where I can't take a deep enough breath and I am yawning all day.

I am a very active person, I work outside, and I regularly walk and jog without losing my breath. So, when I couldn't walk more than a few feet without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate, I knew it was from the phen. I also got extremely depressed after being on it for about 3 days. Those first couple of days, yes, I had tons of energy and cleaned the whole house and even shampooed the carpets.

But after that, I was miserably depressed and couldn't breathe. I stopped taking it for one day to be sure it was the pill and sure enough I was back to my happy self who could exercise and go all day without gasping for air.

I had bloodwork done and a routine physical before starting the medication per the doctor's requirements and there was nothing to indicate that I would be adversely affected. But I am definitely discontinuing the drug and just sticking to WW's. The shortness of breath is listed as a severe side effect and it definitely scared me.

I am sorry that you had this reaction...I have a friend that several years ago had similar mood issues when she took the med. I am NOT saying that it is for everybody. I am saying that I took it several years ago and it worked for me, but my doctor would not prescribe the meds again, because he was only giving me enough for a "jump start".
I am 2 1/2 months in and I am not having any breathing problems, not shortness of breath or heart palpataitions. My BP is slightly increased, I have normal BP without the med, I know it is the reason for the higher BP, but I am following doctors orders and it is working for me. I am not having any adverse effects other than that and I have all of the positive ones...weightloss and energy and ability to control what I eat. I now make much healthier choices in eating and lifestyle, so I am confident that I will be able to continue to control after I stop the meds...I expect to gain some back, but I will be able to control that too.

Best wishes all!
MERRY CHRISTMAS
total of 24 lbs!
missionaccomplished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #100

S/C/G: 342/275/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionaccomplished View Post
I am taking the Phentermine along with weekly Adenosine inj w/ B12. Dr supervised. This is not a fly by clinic that has popped up. It is a local well know clinic in our small town. Several in our town are all on this diet. To get your RX refilled you have to visit the dr. Just pop in once a week for injections. I have lost 24 lbs. in 2 months. Adenosine is is something that our body already produces and it is used to treat fatigue. Those patients saw their waistlines getting slimmer and that is why it is being used in weightloss. (that is how she explained briefly) Dr requires us to journal our food and exercise. follow a 1200 calorie diet (similar to a diabetic plan) although I do not follow the diabetic plan, I try to stay close. And exercise is required 3x week, but she prefers 5x.
I am taking a water pill...after the first month on the phentermine my BP increased slightly and I was retaining too much fluid on my legs. I only take 1/2 HCTZ when I have that tight feeling (like my rings) about every other day. I have not been dehydrated and my BP was lower this last visit. I am still holding a little more water than she would like, so I will continue the HCTZ another month and see how it goes.

I know all of the horror stories about phentermine, but I think that I am being well supervised. If I can get my weight down to a reasonable weight I expect to gain some back when I stop the meds, but also, I have, as a result of the medical care, the know how and the want to, to monitor my eating habits and control what I eat and how much I gain back...something that not even WW was successful teaching me.
This plan was VERY similar to my dr's plan as well and I lost well over 60 pounds in just a few months! I would have lost a lot more, but well sometimes I veered off! Exactly like you said, they're not fly by night clinics, it's medically supervised, well known/respected dr's in my area as well (I was in Florida then). I'm in Greece now and I take the B6 and B12 orally and I've contacted my dr's office and they're willing to send me the shakes and fat burners *not the phentermine of course - damn! lol* and I'm super excited! This plan - especially the phentermine - was a Godsend for me! I had several friends on the plan as well and they all did fantastic!! Thank goodness I had NO problems at all on the phentermine - I did years ago when the whole Phen-Fen was going around... My dr also has an online program if anyone is interested for info, feel free to PM me!

Back to the phentermine, I really have to say I had great results using it during my diet plan as did my friends too! I think of course as well all know, up to each person.. and I think any weight gain you may have after Phentermine is really up to you - the pill can NOT make you gain weight, you have to use it with a diet so you can train yourself to eat better!

Good luck everyone!
fabulousonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #101
no more chunky nana!~

S/C/G: 253/253/175

Height: 5'3

i just started taking adipex-p .. which is name brand for phenter. i love it... although i have only been on it like 2 days lol... alot of ppl on here saying they gained the weight back... and you will if you dont change your lifestyle and your eating habbits... thats what the drug is for to HELP you not DO IT FOR YOU... and alot of ppl cant grasp that... you need to learn how to eat to lose weight while your taking it not just depend on "not being hungry" if you develop good eating habbits and excersize then they weight will stay off...

GL
lailbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #102
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Phentermine is an amphetamine. It is addictive (habit-forming). That is why the experts say you should only take it for 3 - 6 weeks. Sorry, I come from a family that is and has been dealing with the disease of addiction. I take this kind of stuff very seriously. If you can avoid taking this kind of med, please do. Just my humble opinion.
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #103

S/C/G: 195/195/195

Height: 5'6

Phentermine worked wonderfully for me. I took it about 8 years ago and lost about 20 pounds in 2 months. I REALLY want to go back on it now but can't find a doctor who will perscribe it to me. Has anyone else had difficulty with doctor's not wanting the liability of perscribing a "diet" pill?
CarliMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #104
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

My friend that took it, lost 30 lbs in a couple of months and guess what? She's gained it all back.
Good dietary habits and exercise are the only way to lose weight and keep it off.

Good luck!

Last edited by ddc : 06-17-2008 at 07:43 PM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #105

S/C/G: 205/??/150

Height: 5'5"

I took Phentermine and Fenflouromene (Phen-Phen) back in the 90's. I lost 55lbs in a very short amount of time (from 195 to 145 on my 5'5 frame). I looked GREAT and went from a sz. 16 jean to a sz. 9-10. Gained every ounce (and then some) back after I stopped taking them when I was trying to start a family. I never renewed my prescrip for Fen after the first time...just for the Phentermine, because it seemed to work better. NO APPETITE on Phentermine. NONE! I would literally forget to eat--I kid you not. My current doctor is reluctant to prescribe phentermine, or I would be on it again--I admit. Side effects I encountered with Phentermine were: extreme dry mouth, extreme energy, occasional heart palpitations, insomnia and a sense of feeling "high" all the time. I felt great and most importantly...IN CONTROL of my eating habits. I did not have any issues with losing the weight so fast. I was under doctor supervision the entire time. The only thing is, you WILL gain weight back after you stop taking it. It's a temporary fix unfortunately. Like everyone else here, I've tried just about every diet pill, diet, and exercise regime out there. The only real way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF (most important) is to watch your calories and EXERCISE. Then comes the hard part: maintaining your new desired weight. I'm a classic yo-yo dieter. I always tell my friends it's easy to lose weight when you set your mind to it, but it's even harder to be able to KEEP IT OFF.
Tama is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.