3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #61

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I just did a quick search and didn't find anything tying phentermine to strokes(that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, though)....but I did have one doctor not want to prescribe it to me years ago because he thought it was basically like a pharmaceutical amphetamine and possible addictive. There are lots of prescription weight loss drugs out there, and any pill you take is going to have side effects. My biological father took either xenical or meridia, not sure which, and said he had some less than desirable effects that deal with, how should I put this.....anal leakage? Even OTC stff doesn't agree with some people.
I agree that after losing weight any kind of way it is going to be hard to keep it off, because this shouldn't really be about just dieting. We all have to make lifelong changes, or it's going to come back, no matter how we lost it. If once weight is gone you aren't prepared to keep up a healthy lifestyle, then don't waste time and money trying phen or anthing else for that matter. There's nothing in any pill or plan that MAKES you gain weight once you stop. If you don't go into this with the mindset that you have to do it on your own eventually, then you are setting yourself up for failure. In the end, you have to eat healthy and live healthy to BE healthy. So taking a pill or dieting as a quick fix just to have a cheeseburger as a reward once you're thinner is never going to work for anyone. I know even for myself, the fact that I developed such an unhealthy relationship with food, and the fact that McDonald's is just freakin' delicious, the idea that I can never go back to eating/viewing/enjoying food the way I used to is intimidating and depressing sometimes. But if I want this bad enough, that's just the way it's gonna have to be. And there isn't a thing in the world I can buy or take to change that.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #62
Future Belly Dancer

S/C/G: 234

Height: 5'7"

I have been taking Phenterimine now for a week and two days. I stopped feeling side effects after 3 days. I think that it is already wearing off as it does not give me that suppressent effect as strongly as it did the first couple of days but it still takes the edge off.

Allycatisfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #63
skinnywithin

S/C/G: 220

Height: 5'5"

I started Adipex 37.5mg pills and after 3 days I got a headache and my head did not stop hurting until I stopped the pills and stayed off of them for at least 4 days. After 4 days my doctor told me to try 1/2 pill and my headaches came back with my blood pressure being really high also. They were not good for me, but through all of that I didn;t feel hungry.
Konnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #64

Height: 5 ft 3 in

The 37.5 is the highest dose available. Many people find it too strong and cannot tolerate it-some people don't respond to even the high dose. I guess we're all just different in how we react to these types of things. It is available in lower doses, and also in a time released capsule.
According to wikipedia, the way that phentermine works is to chemically artificially induce the "fight or flight" response in the brain. It sounds like a weird way to go about it, but apparently it is supposed to keep our receptors busy with that so that we don't receive and respond to the hunger signal.
So I can see how it might make some people feel a little paranoid, or how it could cause a rise in blood pressure, and why we all respond differently.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #65

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I took it for three months--September-November. I still have about twenty pills left but am not using it. I have put on a few pounds, but I also moved and was off work for two weeks during the holidays eating too much and not exercising. I have no doubt that now that my exercise equipment is set up and I'm back to work that I can get back to where I was and on my way down again. It helped me know that I won't die on 1200 or 1300 calories a day and that walking four miles won't kill me either.

I have never been able to lose weight on my own like I could with adipex. I was able to stop obsessing about food long enough to start to enjoy exercising and the way good whole foods make me feel. It was a great thing FOR ME.

I had some tightness in my chest for the first few days. I went to the doctor every month for a check up and weigh in. I would never recommend anyone taking this medication without close medical supervision.

"It's a sad day when you find out that it's not accident or time or fortune, but yourself that kept things from you."~~Lillian Hellman
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #66

Height: 5'4

I just started phentermine today. My doctor only gave me a month worth so hopefully it will give me a boost and then I will be able to lose weight w/out it.
lovelymmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #67

Height: 5'7"

Hello, everybody!! I havent posted in a long while. Ive been taking classes for going on 9 weeks .Sitting in class all day doesnt help to lose weight. I eat to just keep my energy up and to keep from falling a sleep.
My question is ,how much is your perscription for phenterine a month? I was on this 15 years ago and lost about 20 lbs with walking every day. Hopefully with a job coming up soon I`ll be able to afford it. TIA
Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #68

S/C/G: 297/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I have been taking Phenermine (Adipex) 37.5 for a year now. I have tried it 2 previous times with great results but I gained the weight back as soon as I stopped. All 3 times I lost 30 lbs the 1st month. This time when I started something clicked with me. I had lost a baby and was diagnosed with Pseudo-tumor Cerebri which is a disease caused by obesity. I started doing better after 6 months but I gained the weight back I had lost to get over the disease. I decided march 2006 to get my tubes tied b/c I didnt want to risk another pregnancy ending in stillbirth and I was told if I got pregnant again and the Pseudo-tumor came back I would become blind and there was a 50/50 chance of a stroke, even if the baby survived. To me the odds were too much, that was the turning point for me. I went back on Adipex 4-2006 and lost 30 lbs the 1st month. I then stopped taking the Adipex every day and only used it to get a few lbs lighter. When I would lose a little bit more weight I stopped taking the adipex, if I kept the weight off I started the meds again to lose a little bit more, if I gained I knew it was something I was doing.

I plateaued at 205 lbs for a long time (I was 225 in high school so I have never been that small) and the Adipex finally helped me get past that. Since 205-207 the weight loss has slowed significantly. Adipex can be a wonderful tool to help lose weight if you change your eating habits. If not as soon as you go off it you will gain the weight back.

When I 1st started taking it, I had loose bowels for about 3 days, tingly skin and a slight headache. Those with blood pressure problems shouldnt take it b.c it will raise your blood pressure. To me the benefits far exceed the side effects.

If anyone has any questions about Adipex I'll be more than happy to share my experiences.

Food is a trap I'd rather not fall into!
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...wner=carampeck
http://www.buddyslim.com/cara1980
cara1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #69

Default Phentermine

I've been on & off phentermine for months & it gives me lots of energy, but it doesn't really suppress my appetite all that much. It is better than nothing, though.
At my weight loss clinic they suggest you take it for 2 months, then take 3 weeks off before you start again. That way you don't become immune to it. I usually start becoming immune after a couple of weeks though.
I usually use it just to stay motivated & energetic & to get me back on track when I go on a binge.
pookeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #70

Dontgrabmyfat -
I go to a weight loss clinic that provides the diet pill, fluid pill, 1 B12 injection for $120. The pills last 2 months. If you want more B12, they're $10 per weekly injection.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #71
Jen

S/C/G: 180/153/130

Height: 5'6

I have taken it off and on and have liked the way it gives me energy and curbs my hunger. I worry also, knowing that a "pill" is not a life long crutch. It does work though.
I took it under medical supervision and would like to do so again, but my doctor has moved and I am thinking any new doctor may hesitate to refill the perscription.
Good luck!
Taffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #72

Default Phentermine

Taffer -
I don't know about your area, but around here weight loss clinics are popping up on every corner with doctors handing out phentermine or bontril with a fluid pill & B12 injections. You should be able to find another doctor to prescribe it for you. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #73

I'm going back on it ASAP. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me and it doesn't matter how I eat or how much exercise I get. My body wants to weigh 260 lbs and the fight is a losing battle without these pills. Right now none of my clothes fit me and summer is coming. I have to order them off the inter net though, I don't know how you guys get Dr's to prescribe them cos mine won't. Which means I'm paying 200.00 a pop for 3 months worth of them.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #74

I dont know about most but Ive been on phetermine for about 3 months now. At first I cut back on my food and was taking them and I lost like 18 pounds very quicky. I love them. I started ww to help with my journey forward

Last edited by lilcountrybumpkin : 04-22-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: spelled something wront
lilcountrybumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #75
starwish

S/C/G: 185/142/120

Height: 5'5

jezebell my dr wont prescribe them to me either! where do you get yours from? their are no weight loss clinics around here either i would love to pay $20 for them!!!
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.