3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #31

Height: 5 ft 3 in

labelle-
I did a search to find out the exact difference between the two-
Ionamin and phentermine have the same ingredients, just in different form. There are many different types of phentermine. Ionamin is the resin based form. It is the time-released form of the same drug for people who don't like the strong effects of phentermine, and some people say it has less side effects because of that. Adipex is HCL form, phentermine is the generic-there is no generic form of the resin type, which is the reason why it's so expensive. It should work just as well as far as weight loss, it's more a matter of whether or not you can deal with a stronger sometimes jittery feeling. I have taken phen and had great success with it, and my sister took ionamin (because she was leary about the jitters of phen) and didn't lose a pound, so in our experience, the phen actually worked better.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 PM   #32

Addipex is the kind that I'm taking. I started a week ago today and I've lost 5 lbs. The first 3 days I felt a little "weird", but havent felt even the slightest effect since. I cant even tell I've taken it except that I honestly do not have cravings anymore and once I eat, it is hours before food even enters my mind again. Before, I obsessed over it...I was totally out of control and ate til I couldnt eat anymore and still thought about what I was going to eat later. Disgusting huh? Anyway, so far so good with the addipex and I'm really encouraged that I will now be able to get back on track with my eating right.

Miki
Old 06-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #33

Default Haven't heard

from you in a while. How is it going?
Buttercup McToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #34
More Than A Pretty Face!

S/C/G: 298/171/180

My doctor just prescribed Phentermine for me. Will keep everyone posted on how I do.
TheChubbyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #35

Default I started today.

What dosage are you taking? Keep posting. People just fall of this topic.
Buttercup McToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #36

S/C/G: 248/205/160

Default thinking about trying phentermine..

Im going to the Dr. tomorrow and am thinking about asking for a RX of phentermine.. I have done pretty good by myself, have lost around 48 pounds.. Lately it seems like I have just been at a stand still.. So I'm thinking maybe just something to help me hopefully to get going again, for my last 40 or so..
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #37

S/C/G: 242/170/135

I took phentermine for 2 days and threw the rest of the bottle in the garbage. If you want your entire house cleaned in one day because you can't sit down, and you want to feel high the entire day to the point of exhaustion? This would be the pill to take. Reading the other posts makes me wonder if I had an extra strong dose or What?! I took it at 6:00 in the morning because the doctor advised I start early in the day to avoid sleep problems. I couldn't stop until after 9:30 p.m. I must have been very entertaining since my husband LAO.
Doc said I would "get used to it after a couple of days and to be prepared." Ummm...2 days of being high was enough for me. I did not enjoy running at full speed (hence the term "speed") and I was afraid my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I might try this again if I wanted to run a marathon. LOL
MonicaOU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #38

Default Am I the only one?

Hello, all! I have been taking Phentermine 37.5mg for a week now. The first few days I noticed a big increase in energy and was not hungry at all. However, now I am just as tired as I was when I wasn't taking it and I find myself feeling hungry a lot.

Anyone else experience this? I wonder if it would help if I took one everyother day. Kinda discouraging.

Thanks!
spectrummama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #39

I know other people who have taken it and they do skip days, like 5 on and 2 off. Supposedly you build a tolerance to it less quickly if you don't take it all the time, but you shouldn't be tolerant already.
As far as the being tired and hungry, that could possibly be due to how drastically your eating has changed. Phen makes a lot of people not want to eat at all, and if you were consuming lots of sugar/starches before you started, and now you are consuming a drastically smaller amount, you can have withdrawals and cravings. Try sticking it out for a few more days, be sure you are eating enough healthy foods, and maybe even take a multivitamin. Your fatigue and hunger may just be your body telling you that you aren't taking in enough nutrients.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #40

thanks, rebeleagle... you got me thinking

I was out of town when I first started taking it and was back home when I noticed it "not working". Now that I think about it. DH (trying to be nice) bought me some ice cream to have when I got back home and I had been eating some of it. I wonder if having that much sugar again caused my body to crave it even more. Probably crashing from sugar high as well.

My plan for tomorrow is to still take the phentermine, but no ice cream- I got rid of it. and if I'm still tired, then I'll go off for 2 days and try that.

Thanks for your help.
spectrummama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #41

Default Phentermine

I took it off and on for a long time. Like others, I had tremendous energy when I started taking it. You DO get used to it, however. Eventually, I NEEDED it to just feel normal. When I went off of it, I felt awful. It took me days and days to get back to normal. In addition, every pound I lost while taking it came back slowly but surely, no matter WHAT I did. I think I wasted a LOT of money, and a lot of time taking it. I feel much more energetic now that I am increasing my exercise regularly and being faithful in getting it in without excuse. Hopefully I did not damage my metabolism beyond repair with stuff like this.

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #42

No magic pill exists-the best way to lose weight is by increasing your activity and decreasing your caloric intake-I agree. You will build a tolerance to phentermine eventually-it says so on the info sheet that comes with the prescription.
I personally have been doing Atkins for awhile, and lost a good bit of weight in a short amount of time. It's a great way to lose weight, even though lots of studies show that in can be unhealthy in the long run. I also know from reading thousands of posts on that board, that your body eventually becomes "immune" to that, too, and the rate of loss eventually slows dramatically or stops completely, and most people report gaining back if they even "take a break" from the plan.
No matter how we lose weight, if we don't make permanent changes, the weight is going to come back. If you lose weight just by exercising, and then you don't exercise for 6 months, you will put weight on. If you follow a diet like Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, and then go off the plan and eat like you did when you were overweight, you will put weight on.
I just started taking phen again a few days ago. It doesn't work for everyone. I'm not encouraging anyone to take any diet pill-they are expensive, unnecessary, and not natural to the body-but I have used phen in the past to take off pregnancy pounds, and I didn't gain it back-atleast not until I got pregnant again-that's why I'm here. It does have side effects and risks associated with it, but so does being overweight. It can be addictive, but no more so than the couple of cups of coffee most people drink every morning (and can't wake up without).
I don't mean to be on a soap box here, or to detract from anyone else's opinion, but there are two sides to this story, and it's not all scary and negative. We have all damaged our metabolisms by becoming overweight or inactive. Having gastric bypass will "damage" your metabolism, but most people who've had it are better off for it anyway. There are alot of charlatan's out there selling snake oil in magazine ads and on TV, taking your money and making promises that can't be kept. But phentermine is a prescription, monitored by the FDA, and supervised by a physician. If it (or other prescriptions) didn't work for anyone, it wouldn't be prescribed-it wouldn't even be on the market. Prozac doesn't work for everyone with depression, it has side effects, and it can be addictive. Why will your doctor give it to you? Only if the there is a problem he/she thinks can be corrected by it, and the benefits outweigh the risks. Same situation here.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:48 AM   #43
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

Phentermine is an excellent diet aid for those seriously inactive and overweight. Its not something I would take for very long (as I have taken it). It enables you to gain the energy you need to make the nessecary changes. But you have to make those changes for good as with any diet. After I had my DS#2 I was at an all time high and bcuz of a problemed pregnancy, I was very inactive for months...It really helped getting me started.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #44

wikipedia has some really good info on phentermine about how it works for anyone interested.
Losing weight with any kind of diet pill is tricky, in the fact that if something supresses your appetite, you lose weight, and then that's gone, you're on your own to maintain it. Yes, if you gain weight back, it's because you're not maintaining it yourself. It's alot easier to blame a pill or a diet plan, but there isn't anything in phen or any other pill that will MAKE you gain weight back when you stop taking it. You have to be prepared to make permanent lifestyle changes once you lose weight with any plan, because the science is still the same...calories in-calories out, and the smaller you are the less you need. If we don't stick to it, we're wasting our time/money/effort with whatever we're doing.
I didn't gain weight back after I lost from phen-I maintained it for 2 years until I got pregnant again. I took it after my 1st child was born for 3 months, lost about 45-50 pounds, and lost a few more in the months after without it.
There's no guarantee it will work for everyone. It is a prescription appetite suppressant, and one of the effects it gives is more energy. That's not to say that you can't still have bad eating/exercise habits while on it-the effects won't override your emotions, boredom, or daily schedule-but I also found it really helpful in getting started when I was ready.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #45

It's VERY important that you drink tons of water-I noticed that I got a headache or a little nauseated sometimes if I wasn't getting enough. Also, if you keep noticing it, try taking it 2 hours after breakfast. Sometimes it helps to have something on your stomach first instead of taking it and then having to wait to eat.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.