3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #361
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

I have struggled since high school with my weight. Would lose, gain, lose, gain... For years. My heaviest was 206. My lightest without phentermine was 148ish fot a very brief time. Now, since being on it since 3/27/2012 I have list 27 pounds and am now 141. I've nebr been this light in my adulthood or highschool years.

My only 'negative' effects were dry mouth for the first month. Now, occasionly. And that only meant I drank more water.
The first the days I felt weird, not bad, just weird. And had problems sleeping, but wasn't tired.

Without phentermine I don't think I would have been able to do this.

Goal: Lose Ten Pounds By July 1st!
"Some people live more in twenty years then others do in eighty. Its not the time that matters, it is the person."
-The Tenth Doctor/Doctor Who
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #362

I am on phentermine one month and Didrex the next month, alternating the medicines so as to not build up an immunity. I've lost 75 lb! Of course, when you discontinue the medicine, you cannot go back to your old way of eating, but the medicine has made all the difference in the world to me. I've tried everything in the past. I have not had any side-effects other than going from a size 22 to a size 12!
jntnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #363

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I'm thinking of adding this to help me get past my plateau I got to try something, I couldn't get on it before because my Bp was 164/98 now
It'sike 110/70 something like that so it's gone down sooo much!! I think I'll be ok to go on it
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #364
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

RandomPaige:

I was hyper my first month on a whole pill and called my endoc up and she cranked me down to half pills. Then I wasn't so jittery and the weight loss was not so dramatic but still going. The first month average is apparantly 8-12 mos so your 15 on 1.5 pills is not way out there.

I lost 20 lbs over 4 mos on my half pill and it was what I hoped for -- chill that crazy night hunger thing and reboot me into a better place. Now I'm trying to go at it without it as a tool because I don't want to be on it forever. Like you though, I got to the place where I had to accept I needed the tool.

And now I'm trying hard to do it and it is a lot harder without. Cravings are back -- not as BAD as before, but back so I have to deal with slower weight loss.

superchick36

Talk to your diabetes doc -- and endoc right? But really give it you best shot without. You have to do the diet changes anyway. Phen is not a magic pill. But if you already have given it your best shot and need the helping tool Phen could be -- consider carefully. It is a controlled substance. But if you are at that point, you have considered carefully, you are at that point still? Do what you need to do.

It's not my first choice, but yeah, even me. I had to rethink my attack plan here because I get that much older and this much weight on me is that much worse. Sigh. Hang in there guys!

A.

Last edited by astrophe : 06-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #365

S/C/G: 311/301/150

Height: 5"6"

Default Glad to find other who take Phentermine

I started on Phentermine at the beginning of June. The next day I left on vacation, and it really helped me make good food decisions when faced with so many bad buy yummy options. But at the end of the vacation I got sick. So I stopped taking it for about a week. I gained back all the weight I lost that first week, but I expected that because I was living on orange juice and bread.

I started again, and I am just finishing my 2nd week. I am worried because if I don't lose 4 pounds a month, my doctor will not refill my Rx. I go back to see her next week, so I hope I meet that 4 pounds.

As a side note, another poster asked what type of doctor we all go to. I personally went to my primary care doctor. My insurance will cover the Rx, but you have to wait about a week for their special permission to get it. I found out that Target has a sort of prescription discount they will put on your account if insurance isn't covering that med, and it brought my Rx down to $21 for a 30 day supply! I have 2 co-workers on Phen, and they go to a clinic. They pay $80+ a month for the same med.
trf0ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #366

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

astrophe - I talked with my Endo and she said she wasn't comfortable prescribing it to me. She really felt I needed to do it with diet and exercise alone. I know she is right, but I some times it seems like an up hill battle. I joined a local gym and have been hitting that hard for two weeks now. I also started wearing a pedometer at the beginning of June and that helps too. I have really started watching my portion sizes and what kind of food I'm eating. I just want to see the scale move.

Good luck to everyone!
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #367

Hello everyone! This is my second time on phen, first time I lost over 35 lbs in about 4 months but of course, without changing my bad habits, put almost all of it back. This time I was on Weight Watchers and lost 27 lbs before going on phen, I hit a plateau. Since going on phen I have lost another 14 pounds or so. I did notice this time however that it did not appear to work as well for me, honestly, I still have a good bit of hunger but have been keeping it in check by following my new healthy habits I told my doctor today, she switched me from generic phen to adipex, aren't they basically the same thing? I asked her and she said adipex might work better, not sure about this, I am however $55 lighter with the name brand!!!

I will let you know if I notice any difference between the two. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with adipex vs. phen generic?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #368

S/C/G: 280/235/160

Height: 5'8"

Hi ladies- I just want to say thank you for all your input. ^_^ I have been reading about this pill all day.

I'm concerned though-- I take clomipramine for mood stabilization and vyvanse for ADHD.

The vyvanse has completely and effectively eliminated my appetite and for the first three months taking it, I almost stopped eating. It wasn't until a collapse that I realized I had to start watching what I was eating and taking a record of caloric intake. I was eating less than 700 calories a day, my husband and I gather, and that went on for weeks at a time. I lost 45lbs but I looked like death warmed over and felt like it, too.

As far as I can tell, there has been no mention of these drugs counteracting with the phentermine but I'm just wondering if any of you who have posted or are lurking have taken this with like medicines I'm taking now, is there anything that I should be aware of?

Edit: So I went to my doc and he told me that he wasn't going to put me on this because my ADHD meds do exactly the same thing that phentermine does. ^_^

Last edited by Crazy Dog Lady : 07-19-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Crazy Dog Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #369

S/C/G: 232/218/140

Height: 5'9

I've been taking phen on and off for about 3 months now, in addition to B-12 injections. I've only lost about 14lbs, but I have not been exercising as I should, and not making the greatest choices food-wise. The first week I lost 8 lbs and got really scared so I stopped taking the phen. I think I just was letting the phen take control and was eating less than 1000 calories/day, probably closer to 500 calories/day but I didn't really keep track. For the first few days on phen, I would get jittery. I stopped drinking coffee in the morning and this helped dramatically. I also had trouble sleeping on the days that I didn't exercise. If I exercised, sleep came pretty easily. I've slowly reintroduced coffee (love the taste, can't/won't give it up) and am taking phen every other day. I don't want to be on it forever, and I want to teach myself how to control the hunger. I try to eat the same on the days that I don't take phen, as on the days that I do take it. I'm back on my diet (no more summer vacation excuses) and beginning to exercise again (my swimming buddy is also back from vacation). As a result, I'm betting to see more dramatic losses in the coming weeks. I'm down to the weight I was 2 years ago, and hoping to be around 190 by Christmas. 28 lbs to go!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #370

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

After reading this thread I've decided to ask for Phentermine when I go to the doctor next week. I'm healthy, I go to the gym, and I try to eat right, but my PCOS makes it hard to lose weight and I have absolutely insatiable hunger, even though I'm not IR. I've tried everything to curb my appetite but nothing has worked so far.
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 AM   #371

S/C/G: 170/150/135

Height: 5'3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf0ster View Post
I started on Phentermine at the beginning of June. The next day I left on vacation, and it really helped me make good food decisions when faced with so many bad buy yummy options. But at the end of the vacation I got sick. So I stopped taking it for about a week. I gained back all the weight I lost that first week, but I expected that because I was living on orange juice and bread.

I started again, and I am just finishing my 2nd week. I am worried because if I don't lose 4 pounds a month, my doctor will not refill my Rx. I go back to see her next week, so I hope I meet that 4 pounds.

As a side note, another poster asked what type of doctor we all go to. I personally went to my primary care doctor. My insurance will cover the Rx, but you have to wait about a week for their special permission to get it. I found out that Target has a sort of prescription discount they will put on your account if insurance isn't covering that med, and it brought my Rx down to $21 for a 30 day supply! I have 2 co-workers on Phen, and they go to a clinic. They pay $80+ a month for the same med.
I've been taking the 30 mg name brand. CVS offers AAA discount where they are regularly around $30 the discount makes them $15. I have lost 20 lbs (started at 170) as of this morning and have been taking for two months (first month 15 mg) and have been doing at least an hour of cardio 5-7 days a week and have been making better meal choices. Aside from dry mouth I haven't had any other side effects. Definitely would recommend for anyone looking to get a helping hand to transition into a healthy lifestyle.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #372

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I took Phentermine for a month and lost 10lbs. Got off and got back on for a week taking a pill and a half a day and felt horrible. I felt nauseas and couldn't sleep at night. This medication just wasn't for me.
jricks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #373

Height: 5'6

Just wondering if anyone knows of a doctor in Central/South New Jersey who will prescribe phentermine.

Thanks...
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #374

S/C/G: 158/156.2/125

Height: 5' 3"

Dr. agreed to start me on 15 mg of phentermine starting next week (have to finish a course of prednisone for an injury first).
Kateastrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #375
Once more into the fray!

S/C/G: 188/188/165

Height: 5'0"

So, I took phentermine for a while. Lost 35 pounds. Stopped taking it. And, now I've gained 30 back. I feel like I have to start all over again, but I'm going to try to avoid the phentermine this time because I'm afraid of this happening again! It seems to be a good short term solution, but, it doesn't help train us to get rid of the bad habits that got us to the weight trouble we are in, I think. Any others of you out there with this experience?

Mini-Goal 1: (-10 pounds = 178) --
Mini Goal 2: (-20 pounds = 168) --
Goal Weight: (-23 pounds = 165) --
Eventual Goal Weight: 150 -- someday

neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.