3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #331

S/C/G: 225/163/145

Is Phetermine legal?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #332

S/C/G: 260/254/160

Height: 5'7

yes it is legal.....you get it from a weight loss doctor....or a doctor.
Immafatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #333

S/C/G: 260/212/175

Height: 5'8"

Default I have taken it

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
So those of you that have taken it, yes or no? I went to a weight loss doctor today and he pretty much seemed like a pill pusher. I have been researching Phentermine for the past week or so and reading the reviews both here and elsewhere and I'm absolutely terrified of gaining the weight back after losing it. At the same time, I'm desperate to shed the pounds.

I expressed my concerns to the doctor and he said plainly that, yes I will gain the weight back after unless I "run a marathon everyday." When I asked about how he prescribes it (x amount of months on, x off), he told me he doesn't do that and will basically give it whenever you want/need it. The guy was friendly, but I don't know... He just seems like a total pill pusher. Part of me wants to try it with the first month's supply and kind of jump start my efforts, but again I'm afraid. Another thing, this doctor automatically starts you off at the highest dosage. He said we're all there to lose weight, so why not.

I've been working on a lifestyle change where both food and exercise are concerned, but I'm afraid that by taking this medicine, I will be taking one step forward and two backwards in the long run. Any additional input, suggestions, opinions or experiences are greatly appreciated!
I have taken it on and off for years but have gain the weight back everytime, but my doctor said 2 refills only then off for a month.
Stephanie7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #334
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Yes, it is legal but it is a controlled substance. My doc has me on a half tablet for a short run to see if it helps. I thought it over for 2 years before taking the plunge.

My first time on it and I'm a little leery but it is helping with the crazy hunger from the PCOS/IR. I'm looking forward to coming off. Hoping that I lose enough on it so that the IR chills out some so I can go the rest of the way alone.

A.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #335

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

would a regular doctor be able to give a script for this? how overweight do you need to be for them to give it to you?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #336

S/C/G: 154/see signature/130

Height: 5 foot 5

Ringmaster, there is no rule about how overweight you need to be to take it. I was not a big girl by most standards and found some diet doctor that was more than happy to take my money for the pills. It was one of the more stupider things I have done in my life. Phentermine works...no doubt about it. Side effects are usually dry mouth, palpitation, insomnia and a lot of people get cranky while on it. In the beginning it works great, but then your body gets used to it and it doesn't work as well. The drug is not meant to be used forever, I think the recommended time to be on it is six to eight weeks..it is supposed to make it easier to make lifestyle changes. I don't want to burst anyone's bubble here but I know many people who have taken it, and they all put the weight back on when they stopped. I also think the drug has side effects we aren't told about.....like it effecting our hormones. To each his own, just know that is a tool to help you, not the only thing to help you. YOu are still going to watch what you eat and exercise.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #337

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

I find it's a good appetite suppressant/energy boost WHILE YOU GET YOUR NEW HABITS IN PLACE. It is JUST like ANY other weight loss method - if you go back to your old habits, you will go back to your old body. Don't blame the method, you know?

As for me, it makes me mean and cranky so it's just not an option now that I have a child I don't want to scar for life and a husband I don't want to run off.

Bloom where you're planted.
Be the change.
The one you feed.
Today counts.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #338

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

people that regained, is it just from going back to old food habits and lack of exercise (from less energy)? there is no boost to your metabolism or any magic in the pill that just melts the fat, right?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #339

I took phentermine in the past, and it worked beautifully. I will say that it gave me splitting headaches if I didn't drink enough water, and if I didn't exercise...the extra energy made me jittery. I'm on Phenobestin now, which is non-prescription and supposed to be similar to phentermine. So far, no headache, no dry mouth...but I do have the jitters. Time to get out of this classroom for the day and work some of that energy off!
IronsInTheFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #340

S/C/G: 190/182/152

Height: 175

I'm taking phentermine at the moment, and I think what you get out of it is entirely based on your attitude to it.

The first time I took it, years ago, I lost 8kgs in two weeks (which was a lot considering I was only 4kgs overweight when I started). I slowly slipped back into old eating habits and put 5kgs back on within a few months (and kept gaining thereafter!)

I started taking it again last week and have so far lost 3kgs in 6 days. I think the best way to look at it is as a tool to wipe the slate clean and start a blank canvas. As sad as it sounds I think I was actually addicted to junk food and coke and when I take Duromine I don't have cravings at all! I never feel hungry and I have to literally FORCE myself to eat (which I assure you, has never been a problem before haha). It's so much easier to apply yourself to a healthy diet of five small meals a day when you're not craving junk and you never feel hungry. Once the habit is formed the idea is you will no longer need the phentermine, you will have adopted the tools needed for discipline and portion control. And that's where the work starts!

As for the side effects - to me the biggest was the constant thirst. On the upside though I drink in excess of 3 litres a day now! I also experience a fair bit of nausea but a lot of the time it's only when I forget to eat. I'm a bit of a control freak and sometimes I notice that my head feels really "thick" and foggy which I don't like at all but in the end none of the effects aren't manageable.

I've struggled with weight my whole life and I've learnt that the only way I'm going to lose it is to love myself at the size I am now, and love myself more 1kg down at a time.
tugelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #341
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
people that regained, is it just from going back to old food habits and lack of exercise (from less energy)? there is no boost to your metabolism or any magic in the pill that just melts the fat, right?
That's right, if you regain it's from going back to old habits. At least that was true in my case. I took it for over a year and lost a decent amount of weight, but I never found it to be such a tremendous appetite suppressant. It was really just a tool to help me get jump-started when I hit a plateau, and once my weight loss started moving again I'm not sure it was all that necessary. My doctor seemed to think it was, though, so I took it longer than I really felt like it was working.

Once I stopped there was no real difference in either my rate of loss or my energy levels. The reason I gained back weight had nothing to do with stopping my prescription and everything to do with getting lazy about cardio and going back to binge behaviors to deal with work stress.

Having said all that, I have had better results as far as my rate of weight loss and lack of hunger from giving up wheat products than I ever did when I was on phentermine. It was great for road trips when I had to drive long distances alone, though, I'll give it that.

Last edited by thistoo : 03-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #342
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Quote:
Well, it's my first time on and I take half a tablet. I haven't gotten to being off it yet. That happens next month.

I am glad it turns the "volume" down on my hunger so I can focus on making better eating choices.

But it's keeping ON making those better eating choices that will keep this weight off. If I go back to bad habits this whole thing will have been for naught. I didn't need to be on this pill to learn that one!

I lost 80 lbs before without it. And it slowly crept back on not just because of the extra PCOS/IR challenges but because I wasn't doing the work.

Fine. PCOS/IR means it takes me a bit extra OOMPH to keep it off than a nonPCOS person putting in their oomph. But I still gotta pay my oomph! It's not a free ride.

When I quit working out regular and food logging regular -- here came the slow gain. I had good reasons -- I was in a high risk pregnancy, dealing with baby, dealing with other life problems like eldercare. That's fine. Life happens.

But I wasn't paying my oomph so I wasn't surprised to regain.

I don't expect this pill to do anything other than help jump start me again into good habits. Turn the appetite volume DOWN for a few weeks so I can THINK without hunger distraction and get it together again. But I fully expect to do the work on and off pill.

A.

Last edited by astrophe : 03-13-2012 at 01:28 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Having said all that, I have had better results as far as my rate of weight loss and lack of hunger from giving up wheat products than I ever did when I was on phentermine.
I gave up gluten last year and lost weight, but didn't make it long. I love bread...and was going into the holidays. I called it Glutenfest..lol It just hurts my stomach and gut so much that I'm giving it all up again. I hadn't really attributed the weight loss to giving up gluten, as I also gave up other things at that time. I'm interested to see what happens for me this time!
IronsInTheFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #344
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronsInTheFire View Post
I hadn't really attributed the weight loss to giving up gluten, as I also gave up other things at that time. I'm interested to see what happens for me this time!
You might be interested in a book that came out last year called Wheat Belly. It's about gluten and its effects on weight gain.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #345

S/C/G: 290/281/180

Height: 5'3

I've been taking it for two weeks now and have lost 10lbs. I'm so happy and I really feel a difference in my energy level. I'm only taking 1/2 a pill so thats been great.
Mom2adiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.