3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #301
So Ready

Hi all! Is this thread still going? I'm on day 3 of phentermine and have had a headache all three days. I'm a migraine sufferer, and I was really hoping to escape this side effect. And I'm only on the 15mg! Anyone else have this happen and (fingers crossed) the headache went away?

Not sure it really matters, since I've only lost a pound. I'm not looking for outrageous magical weight loss, but if this isn't going to give me enough of a boost I guess it might not be worth the headache. If it goes away I'm going to try to up it to 30mg.

traceriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #302
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

traceriffic I'm not having any headaches but I it's not curving my appetite. I am on the 15mg also. Just started. Is this dose curving your appetite? What time of the day do you take it? How many calories do they have you on?

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #303
So Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
traceriffic I'm not having any headaches but I it's not curving my appetite. I am on the 15mg also. Just started. Is this dose curving your appetite? What time of the day do you take it? How many calories do they have you on?
Hi, love2b150! It helps curb my appetite throughout the day, but unfortunately I am a big nighttime eater. I have been making wiser choices in the evening, so that counts, I guess, right?

I have tried taking it 30 minutes before I eat breakfast, which seems to help lessen side effects, but then it wears off faster.

I've also tried taking it 90-120 minutes after breakfast, which helps strengthen my resolve in the evening, but tends to make the side effects intensify.

Went into the doc today for a one-week check-in (lost FIVE POUNDS - major for me!), and she put me on the higher dose. I was totally straight with her about every side effect, because I want to make sure this is for me. She seemed fine bumping to 30mg, and I go back in two weeks for another follow-up. I am kind of glad to have this much supervision. I know most people only see their doctor once a month on this, but I take other meds, too, and I like knowing that I'm going to see the doctor soon.

As far as diet, I've been loosely following WW for the past couple of months, but am going back to meetings tomorrow (I skipped the last month). I love my WW leader, so I'm hoping I've got the winning combo in place.

Please share your experience(s)...I'd love to hear how you are doing!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #304

hi traceriffic, I was told to take it after lunch, which for me is around 1:30 but when I do I am hungrier much earlier. So I've been waiting until 2:30 but it's still not helping. According to my scale I have only lost 2lbs but I messed up over the weekend, so I expected the gain. He also has me on other supplements that I don't know if they are working or not. But as far as I'm concerned none of it is yet so we'll see. I weigh in today so I get to see the difference in my initial weigh in there and today's.

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #305

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I tried Phentermine and it does work. However, I gained all the weight back afterwards and then some. One of the "after-effects" of phentermine is that it can wreak havoc on your metabolism, thus causing your metabolism to slow down and making it harder to lose weight and keep the weight off.
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #306
So Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
I tried Phentermine and it does work. However, I gained all the weight back afterwards and then some. One of the "after-effects" of phentermine is that it can wreak havoc on your metabolism, thus causing your metabolism to slow down and making it harder to lose weight and keep the weight off.
That sucks, I'm sorry. I've read this a lot. Did you eat continuously while you were on it?

I'm trying to do my part to rev my metabolism by eating snacks every couple of hours, so when I stop taking it I don't go from starvation to calorie overload.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #307

I had the same thing happen to me as well Loli. I went on Phentermine and stayed on it about 7-8 months. At the beginning I lost around 20-25 lbs then after about 3-4 months I wasn't losing anymore weight and staying the same. I then went off of it and gained everything back. I tried it again about 5 months later and lost 15 in a month...however, I gained it back as soon as I went off of it. (it's suppose to be a short term drug).
Now, I'm going about this without any drugs... the "after-affects" of this drug made it pointless...wasted a lot of money for temporary results...it threw my metabolism out of whack and made me very very hungry.
boatgirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #308

boatgirl were you hungry while taking it or after you stopped. It seems I want to eat more with it. I'm gonna do this 12 week program and hope it helps but like I said earlier I don't see where it is doing very much at the moment. I think if it really curved my appetite I may be a little nervous. My friend was on it years ago, she didn't do any exercise, slept all the time, didn't eat hardly anything because she said she was never hungry and looked great until she had another baby. So I don't want it to stop me from eating just help slow me down.

traceriffic had my weigh in, 2lbs down. I eat every 3 hrs also for the most part. I learned that from the 3 hour diet by Jorge Cruise, it does help until late evening when I want to eat again and again

Loli how long were you taking it? and which dosage?

Old 05-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #309

S/C/G: 258/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loli View Post
That happened to me too, and I had a LONG plateau (months) after I went off of it. Then I started calorie counting and upped my exercising and started to lose again without it.

JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #310

Jess that's how I lost last year just calorie counting and walking but I couldn't seem to get it together this go around. I sure hope whatever I lose on it does come back

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #311

love2be150,
In the beginning, my appetite was lower. But it didn't last like that...I began getting hungry more often than I did when I began after about 3-4 months on it. The main thing I noticed with it is that I got fuller faster. I didn't have to eat much to feel really full. After I went off of it, I was constantly hungry and required a whole lot more food to get full. Now my body has seemed to even itself out where I eat the appropriate amount to fill me...not too less or too much.
I'm not a big fan of phentermine, I feel it really messed me up in some ways....everyone's body is different though....if you get on it, I hope it works for you!
boatgirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #312

boatgirl thanks for the reply I did start on 5/18 but I don't think it's doing anything. I am a daily (multiple time) weigher and this morning I was up 2.8lbs so it is definitely not suppressing my appetite. Which dose were you taking?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #313

Height: 5'9"

I've been taking this for the past 2 months and it has been a huge reason why my weight loss has gone so well but at the same time I've heard of so many people taking it and effortlessly losing weight.
So I've been going to the gym for regular walks and workouts, eating better and drinking a ton of water.. I'm determined to keep the weight off once I get off of the medication in the future.
I Have 2 friends that have taken the medicine, one regained everything and the other kept it all off and continued to lose after the medicine.
I Believe it is a mind game just as much as any diet. When you get off the pill you're afraid you're going to get hungry and regain everything, and that's just what happens!
So keep your mind in the right place and it will all fall into place!!!

And love2b150, Your body is going to fluctate weight throughout the day due to food, water, etc... the best advice I have for you is to weigh minimum of once a week. I used to weigh daily and I started getting depressed because of the lack of results. but When I backed off and set a "weigh-in" day I did better. I felt more reassured and I have now begun to anticipate Tuesdays(myday) so I can see my weekly results. You'll stress a lot less on your body if you weigh less often!
and Also when I started taking the meds, it takes your body a week or 2 to adjust! Stick with it!

Last edited by mhill0823 : 05-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 AM   #314

Thanks mhill, I've been weighing like this for so long it doesn't really bother me, it actually helps if I can get on the scale. I know that when I weigh at night unless I have had a horrible snacking day that I will be 3lbs lighter in the morning. I'm just kicking myself now because last year this time I did well on my own, no medication just counting calories and walking. My actual weigh in day is Tuesday also and you would think on Monday's I would do as I should, eat right and exercise but nope. But hopefully starting tomorrow I'll gain some control with the challenges I just joined on here (same ones I did last year with success). I have 10 more weeks to go so we'll see where I end up. Thanks again

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #315

Height: 5'9"

You're welcome! Good luck!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.