3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 04-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #16

Height: 5' 9"

My husband and I have both taken this med. We had great results with it. But, after a couple of months it quits working and if you don't watch what you eat it comes back faster than you lost it. Good luck with it!
Justinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #17

Height: 5 ft 3 in

sassy-please keep us posted on how much you lose! What dosage are you on? I got my prescription the other day, and am having it filled. My small town pharmacy doesn't carry it in stock, so I am waiting for it to come in (I'm getting 3 months worth so I don't have to wait again). I've done Atkin's for the last month, hence the 20 lb loss already, but am having some problems because of it, so I don't know if I'll continue the plan after I get my meds.

I have used phen in the past and was lucky enough to not gain the weight back, atleast not until I got pregnant again. Pregnancy has been my yo-yo for weight gain 3 times, and my excuse to hog out relentlessly. It's important to remember that phen supresses appetite, and that's why lots of people gain when they stop taking it. Once you've lost the weight, your caloric needs are less simply because you are smaller, and if you eat like you normally did at a heavier weight, you are sure to gain it back.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #18

S/C/G: 180/180/150

I just started taking Phentermine yesterday. I swore I'd never take a pill because they don't work.. but after reading several posts here and on other sites and from the recommendation of a friend who lost a lot of weight with it, I decided to try it. No side effects, and with not feeling so hungry all the time I've found myself the past two days taking the time to make healthier things to eat instead of grabbing for the junk food that is so easy to just binge on. I've been exercising a little bit for the past couple weeks with no weight loss, and I know it's because I exercise and then binge. I'm hoping this will help me break those habits, and I don't plan on taking it for too long. Hope i have the success you all have had.

Getting married April 2007!
Not looking for a dress till I lose the weight
Jenibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:09 AM   #19

Ok. I started my prescription on Tuesday after waiting what seems like forever to get it from the pharmacy.

I've been watching the scale and so far I've lost 3 pounds. Amazing for one week! But then again, I started my exercise routine (3 miles per day plus occasional weights) this week as well so it was a double whammy for my body.

I've made a deal with myself. I have to stay on the treadmill for 3 miles. How long it takes me to get thru those 3 miles is entirely up to me. Right now I find myself jogging for 2 and walking the other 1.

I'm going for a blood test next week to test for hypothyroid. I had the test before and was told I was in normal range.. but I still feel like I should be tested again.

I'll keep posting my experience on this thread if anyone wants to follow along (and add on their own experience?) be my guest. I want to lose 12 pounds by the second week of June. I'm getting married in November so I'd like to lose 30 pounds by the end of September.

I feel really motivated right now and am actually concious of how out of shape I am (and the fact that I never WAS in shape). I'd really like to improve my overall health.
Sassy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #20

Height: 5'5"

I've taken phentermine a few times over the past 13 or so years. The first time it worked great! I lost the weight and remember feeling energetic, the kind of energetic that we should always feel. It was a good feeling, not the kind of energy you get from sugar or sodas. Anyway, some 10 years later I tried it again and it worked for acouple of months but then stopped. Increasing the amount did not control my appetite but did give me eye and head twitchs.
I used phentermine and Adipex which is just the higher dosage. If you have never used these medications, I think they do work for a few months, but if you've regained weight and are thinking of trying the pills again, don't expect them to work the way they originally did.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #21

Congrats on the 3 lbs sassy! I can't wait to get mine! I do agree that they only work for a couple of months at most-you develop a resistance to the medication, which is common for lots of different kinds of meds. But if you are dedicated to a healthy eating program, I think that it can be a great "kickstart". I've been big and I've been small, and I know for me personally, the bigger you are the more difficult (and painful, and embarassing, for that matter) it can be to try to start a rigorous exercise routine, so if you can get a little weight off with a medication, and the psychological boost from the weight loss, it's all for the better anyway. No, it's not a magic pill. There's no such thing. But I'm willing to take whatever help I can get!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #22

I've decided to cut my dosage in half. I wasn't eating enough and I had no appetite which is not good in the long run and actually makes it harder to lose weight. Now I'm eating about 1500 calories per day with some effort. My appetite isn't all there but its not anywhere near the same as before on the full dosage. I'm down 5 pounds total now. I'm owning the treadmill now, increasing my speed and doing intervals of walking and jogging...I just have to get those weights in there.. sigh.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:48 AM   #23

Congrats on the 5 lbs Sassy!!!!!! I'm still waiting for mine-can't wait to post my results here with ya!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #24
buzz buzz buzzin along

Hi Gals,
Great Post! I was thinking of doing Phen and a lot of ppl said dont do it. You'll never be able to lose weight again. Im at a loss right now.

Anyway, Have a great day!

HunnyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:59 PM   #25

That's crap hunnybee-nothing can make it so that you'll never be able to lose weight again-don't listen to those people.
What we eat and how we move is the determining factor, with or without any pill, and unless you have a medical condition, any of us can change our metabolic rate with some effort. That's why all diet pills come with a "used in combination with diet and exercise" disclaimer.
No pill is going to do it for you-we all know that. But I've found in the past that it really did help give you a "boost" like giving you the energy to be able to start an exercise program, and helping to eat alot less without feeling starved. I've use it more than once, and did not gain back until I got pregnant again, and that's MY fault, because I've used pregnancy as an excuse to sit on my butt and eat whatever I wanted. If sitting on our butts and eating whatever we want is the plan, then of course we will be heavy, and you can't use it to lose weight and then go back to McDonald's every day, but for alot of people it does work!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #26

I have to say that I am off phentermine. I've been having some pretty bad side effects so I've taken myself off of it. I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday to figure out what's going on.

Regardless, I wish the rest of you success!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #27
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I am currently taking phentermine and have taken it in the past (11 years ago). I use it in conjunction with atkins. The first time I suffered from some insomnia. This time I'm not having any adverse effects. It really does help to get you moving the rest is up to you.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #28

My husband and I just got prescriptions yesterday and started taking the pills today. Both of us lost 60 lbs 3 or 4 yrs ago and due to a variety of reasons, we've gained almost 40 of it back. We lost the 60 just by exercise and cutting back on our eating. I've never believed in diet pills and never thought it was a healthy thing to do, but our health is being affected by our weight and hard as we try, we have just not been able to get back on track. I know most of it is a mindset and we're hoping that seeing a drop on the scales using the pills will get us back motivated so that we can go back to just eating right and exercising. I was glad to find here that most have had success. I"ll check back here in a few weeks and give an update on our progress. Thanks everyone for the info!

Miki
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #29
Changing my Lifestyle!

S/C/G: 195/192/135

I took the blue and white phentermine. The only thing I can say is be weary that you will probably gain it all back plus some when you stop taking it. I was about 180 and dropped 20 pounds within the 12 weeks after I stopped taking it I went to my alltime high which is the 195 which I've been stuck at for a long time now.

But I never had any side effects excepting talking alot LOL (more energy)!

Jessica6897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #30
labelle16352

S/C/G: 205/148/130

I took the Ionamin and did not gain anything back but without it I cant seem to lose. I LOVED the energy it made me get off my but. The problem is the cost. Phen is about 1/2 the cost but I am not sure if it works like the Ionamin. Any one tried both?
labelle16352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.