3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 04-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #196

S/C/G: 235/235/135

Height: 5'4

I took this before also and it made me very jittery
tl0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #197

Default My first post in this thread

Hi All,

This is my first post in this thread. I am on starting week 3 on duromine (30mg) and I have two questions so far, hoping someone here can help:

1) I was expecting a rush of energy, instead, I am really really tired. The first day I had to pull over my car and have a little nap. I am not as tired now, but I am surprised I could take the tablet and have a nice snooze on the train on the way to work.... Has anyone else had the same problem or a simialir experience?

2) Cold Sores, wow, I have totally broken out big time! The most I have ever had. I am guessing it is the Duromine, so I have started taking a multi-vitamin to balance me out. Has anyone had a simialr thing?

I will discuss these points with my doctor next week, but just wanted some insight.

Hope everyone is doing well so far, I have lost 7kg so far, so very pleased. I have eaten well and exercised everyday since starting, so I am happy with the outcome so far. I still have heaps to go, another 30kg I dare say.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #198

S/C/G: 144/122.5/117

Height: 5'1"

Hi Aussie_ Chick~
I haven't heard anything about canker sores, sorry..
As for being sleepy, I've seen some ppl say they've felt the same way as you do.
I think the best thing is to call your doc and just ask over the phone if all is well with those effects you are having.

When I was trying the phentermine again, I felt tired as well.. But it was more of a worn out feeling, not so much a sleepy feeling.
I got to where I couldn't even lift my son w/o feelign like it was too much for me. That was definately scary!
remee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #199

wow remee, that sounds full on.. are you still taking it or did you stop?

I find that it does supress my appetite, but I still need that will power to walk away from a table of food. So last night, we have a Sunday Roast at my parents, and normally I just eat and eat and eat... I wanted too, I just didn't, so I am proud of that.. I find I still need to have will power.

I am using the duromine to get me in to a good routine, and so far I am exercising everyday and eating better, so it is going well. I have heaps to loose though...

What has your journey been like so far?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Chick View Post
wow remee, that sounds full on.. are you still taking it or did you stop?

I find that it does supress my appetite, but I still need that will power to walk away from a table of food. So last night, we have a Sunday Roast at my parents, and normally I just eat and eat and eat... I wanted too, I just didn't, so I am proud of that.. I find I still need to have will power.

I am using the duromine to get me in to a good routine, and so far I am exercising everyday and eating better, so it is going well. I have heaps to loose though...

What has your journey been like so far?
Oh I'm definately not taking the phentermine anymore! Not only was I having the decreased ability to exercise, (could barely even lift my son) I was having some serious scary heart palpitations.
It took me over 7 days after quiting the phentermine, for the palpitations to stop! The weight doctor told me that I was to never in my life take it again and put down in my file that I was allergic to it. When he told me I could try another medication similiar to the phentermine, I was a little hesitant but it was my last shot. So he gave me the Tenuate and so far I've been doing really well.
Its not nearly as strong as phentermine though and is a pill that is meant for more short term.

Congrats big time on finding the will power to not keep eating such yummy food! Whats great is that the medication does help, but it's just a tool and we have to remember that sometimes. Use the tool to help us get back on the right path and we should do really well!

My journey is going pretty well and I'm trying to let this time to get set on a better way of eating for myself. What's hard is that with the tenuate, it doesnt suppress my appetite nearly as much as phentermine.
I feel hunger and I have to work with it. On phentermine, I felt no hunger at all.lol
I got myself in a pretty low situation with lack of motivation in exercising, so that's been a bit of a struggle for me for sure. So I'm trying to work out using exercise videos until the weather starts staying warm. I am liking the "short" exercise dvd's.lol (12min to 20min max)
Old 04-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #201

Duromine works differently for me, I do feel hungry too. I just don't think about food as often, I wonder if it is me or the pill.. Who knows, but I am really happy with the outcome so far.

I only do 20 minutes of cardio a day, and it seems to work great for me.

I have never heard of Tenuate.. And I am intrigued that there are weight doctors, I read in other posts that you guys have Weight Clinics where you can go and get Phen, weight loss shots and all sorts of stuff... We have nothing like that here....
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #202
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I have never heard of Tenuate.. And I am intrigued that there are weight doctors, I read in other posts that you guys have Weight Clinics where you can go and get Phen, weight loss shots and all sorts of stuff... We have nothing like that here....
Many of the weight loss clinics here are basically scams. Regular doctors can prescribe phen here although less reputable doctors tend to go where the $$$ and that is in exploiting those who want to lose weight.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #203

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

A friend of mine took phentermine for approx 3yrs, lost a LOT of wt and kept it off. In her 30's starting having heart palpitations, one day her heart went tachy (beating too fast) and wouldn't stop, went to the ER, got the tachy stopped, stayed over night for observation, doc told her she had to go off of it.......she gained wt back right away, but still smaller than she used to be, only now has a history of tachycardia. 2 other friend in their 20's both used phentermine and lost a LOT of wt in a min amt of time. When they both quit taking it, they gained back all the wt and 20+ more lbs.....they both swear it was bc when they were on the med, they had more energy and no appetite- but neither one ate healhy nor did they start/continue a workout regiment. I personally do not have experience with the drug.
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #204

Thanks for the updates on expereinces you know of. I have continued to loose about 0.4kg a day.

Again, I am eating well and exercising, and feel that the phentermine is probably making me not hungry, more than anything else....

I am really worried I am going to put it back on, so my focus is to live everyday eating 6 small meals a day and exercising each day. I have done this everyday for 3 weeks now, and will continue for the full three months.

Then I am going to stop taking it and see what happens...... I worry I will get heart problems, but if I don't loose the weight I am going to get heart problems and a heap of other things, so at the moment I am still not jittery and have no problems sleeping... I am going to see my doctor maybe tomorrow to ask about that, I feel more tired on this.

I have nearly hit the 10kg mark lost, I might hit it this week, which would make it 10kg in 3 weeks....

I really want to speak to others taking it at the moment..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #205

Aussie_chick, it looks like you are doing really well! BIG Congrats on the near 10 kg loss! THat is in just 3 weeks? So if I got that right in my conversion, it's just about 22 pounds! WOW!

The worry about putting the weight back on is normal and I will say that if we don't make use of the tool we've got now, it's totally possible to gain some back afterward. So it's really good that you are working daily on how you are eating and exercising. It shouldn't take too long to make it a life long habit and a healthy habit that will help keep the weight off!

I'd like to keep this up with you if it's okay. I know I'm taking something different, but it is still the same thing in a way. It's just not as strong.
There are days when I wish I could have handled the phentermine because it can be hard actually having to work through the hunger I still feel with the tenuate. I worry if I'm eating too much still but I am changing all that I eat, so hopefully all that I'm doing will keep working for me.
For me at my 4 week mark, I've lost 12 pounds according to my weight doctor. Not bad I think!

I'll be taking the Tenuate for one more month and then I'm off of it.
I'll tell you from experience that it will be a little worriesome when you stop your med. But if we keep up all that we are learning, then we should do pretty well. Especially with support!

Congrats again on doing so well!! I'm thrilled for you!

Quote:
Thanks for the updates on expereinces you know of. I have continued to loose about 0.4kg a day.

Again, I am eating well and exercising, and feel that the phentermine is probably making me not hungry, more than anything else....

I am really worried I am going to put it back on, so my focus is to live everyday eating 6 small meals a day and exercising each day. I have done this everyday for 3 weeks now, and will continue for the full three months.

Then I am going to stop taking it and see what happens...... I worry I will get heart problems, but if I don't loose the weight I am going to get heart problems and a heap of other things, so at the moment I am still not jittery and have no problems sleeping... I am going to see my doctor maybe tomorrow to ask about that, I feel more tired on this.

I have nearly hit the 10kg mark lost, I might hit it this week, which would make it 10kg in 3 weeks....

I really want to speak to others taking it at the moment..
Old 04-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #206

Thanks Remee, and 12 pounds is awesome!!! You are so close to your goal weight!!! I have a long journey ahead of me, and it is quite overwhelming at times... I am 132kg, so something like 270 pounds.. Man, when it is in pounds it seems even worse... My ideal weight is in the 70kg mark, but I am aiming for 85kg. When I lost weight the first time, I dipped in to the 70kg and people said I looked a little gaunt... But I happily sat at 85kg mark for many years, so that is the goal!

40kg to loose seems so overwhelming, but I just think I am going to look at it in 10kg blocks... I can't wait to hit the 120kg mark, which should be next week, at the rate I am going.

A girl at work said her friend lost 40kgs on phentermine in 3 months, and kept it off... So there is my motivation. I don't think I will hit the 40kg mark in 3 months, but 20 and I would be ecstatic!

I played netball last night (not sure if guys have that sport in the US) and trying to pick up an extra game for that extra exercise... And my skirt wasn't as tight, which was heaven.... My netball skirt was getting so tight, my fat jeans were getting to tight, so I knew I had to do something...

Do you have kids or anything Remee? I have 2, a 5 yo girl (soon to turn 5) and a soon to turn 2 year old boy, and I work full time, so it is bit of a mad house around here.... Speak soon... Hope you had a good 24 hours eating and exercise wise...!
Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #207

Thanks Aussi_Chick! I have a big feeling the last bits of my weightloss are going to be super hard.. Right now it's hard to even see it being possible. I have hope though!

I really think you'll be hitting your goal and holding onto it, I'm very excited to see it happen and I think taking it in the 10 kg blocks is a great idea.

We don't play "netball" here but I would guess it's very similar to our basketball. It really gets you moving big time! It's wonderful you are getting in some good activity! Getting in good activity has always been a downfall of mine. I tend to get times (more often than not.lol) where I lack motivation to do much. I really need to change that! When we lived in Hawaii, I was always walking. I miss that so much! Right now we're living in Indiana and have a little over a year left here before we move again.
My hubby is in the United States Marine Corps. I don't know where we'll end up next time but I know we miss Hawaii. He said Japan is a big probability but I hope not because I can't see me going to school there for nursing.

I do have kids too! I've got three.. My oldest girl is 15yrs old, my second girl is 13yrs and then I've got my little boy who is 4yrs old. I stay at home with my son and eventually will be able to get to school myself when he starts.

I've been thinking and I think I'm going to use your activity as my motivation..
I think it's good that you've heard good info about keeping the weight off after phentermine and that you are going to use that as motivation. It's definately possible! I kept my weight off for over 6yrs after taking phentermine and that's including after having my son. What did me in was moving here to Indiana.lol

Quote:
Thanks Remee, and 12 pounds is awesome!!! You are so close to your goal weight!!! I have a long journey ahead of me, and it is quite overwhelming at times... I am 132kg, so something like 270 pounds.. Man, when it is in pounds it seems even worse... My ideal weight is in the 70kg mark, but I am aiming for 85kg. When I lost weight the first time, I dipped in to the 70kg and people said I looked a little gaunt... But I happily sat at 85kg mark for many years, so that is the goal!

40kg to loose seems so overwhelming, but I just think I am going to look at it in 10kg blocks... I can't wait to hit the 120kg mark, which should be next week, at the rate I am going.

A girl at work said her friend lost 40kgs on phentermine in 3 months, and kept it off... So there is my motivation. I don't think I will hit the 40kg mark in 3 months, but 20 and I would be ecstatic!

I played netball last night (not sure if guys have that sport in the US) and trying to pick up an extra game for that extra exercise... And my skirt wasn't as tight, which was heaven.... My netball skirt was getting so tight, my fat jeans were getting to tight, so I knew I had to do something...

Do you have kids or anything Remee? I have 2, a 5 yo girl (soon to turn 5) and a soon to turn 2 year old boy, and I work full time, so it is bit of a mad house around here.... Speak soon... Hope you had a good 24 hours eating and exercise wise...!

Last edited by remee : 04-16-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #208
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Hi guys! I'd like to join, as I've been on Phen for 11 days now. It took a LOT for me to go to the doctor for it, because I've always been a "no magic pill" girl. But my issue was truly being hungry all day long. I'd have to fight every day to not eat my weight in all the healthy foods I was eating. My cravings were hard to ignore, so I would either give in or take a nap. I was yo-yoing between 237 and 217 for months.

The thing is, I've lost more than 50 lbs. in the last four years. I know how to do this. I think I've just gotten older, and my body has changed, and all the years of bad dieting has caught up with me. Since I've been on the Phen, I feel like a normal person. I eat scheduled meals. I don't feel hungry in between. I get cravings, but I can ignore them and move on with my life. I exercise every day.

I've read some of the posts on here basically implying that those who take it think it's the solution to their weight loss woes. For me, it's not a pill that makes me lose weight. It's just helping me gain some control until my stomach shrinks and I can handle it on my own.

I'm going to take it for 2 months and then take a month to wean off of it. As someone else in this thread said, it's a tool, not a cure.

Oh, and in my first week I lost 8.5 lbs: 5 lbs. fat, 1 lb. muscle, and 2.5 lbs. water. I'm being monitored by a doctor, and have had very few side effects.
4th goal--189 (where I'd like to be before really trying to get pregnant)
5th goal--180 (100 lbs. from my highest weight ever)
6th goal--169 (overweight bmi)
7th goal--140 (normal bmi)

The Ultimate Goal...
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #209

Hi Eumie, welcome to the thread.. Remee and I have kind of just joined it ourselves, so the more the merrier...

I agree with your apporach, and I too was a no pill girl... but I also thought about food all day long... So, it is good to not worry about it... I am about a week in front of you. My plan is to go the three months, and then stop.. I am hoping by then I have lost 30 kgs, it is a lot, but I think I can do it...

I have exercised every day and have 6 small meals too, which will help with the metabolism... It is the best thing for me! Glad I did it..

Remee* With you husband in the marine corp are you home most of the time by yourself? I could move to another state, but i couldn't live in China. It would be nice for a holiday, but not to live... just not my thing... Are your family in hawaii or somewhere else? I would love to go to hawaii! There is no where to walk here, but we have nice paths, just nothing scenic, in my suburb anyway.

I used to play basketball as a kid, and would love to play again, but most girls play netball once they get a bit older, being late 20's up... It is 7 to a team, and the goal ring is like basketball, but no backboard, and only 2 people in the team can shot goals. Oh, and there is no bouncing the ball, so it is fast paced like basketball, but you have to throw catch and shoot...

I started playing again many years ago, I called it my life sport... That no matter what happened during the week, or what my social life was doing, I always played netball everyweek, sometimes twice a week. You should try to get in to a team activity, hence my question about your husband being home... I can leave the kids with mine whilst I go play. Makes it easier to have that support...

Today I had McDonalds for lunch :-( Although, normally I would get a large meal and another burger, but today I got a medium meal, a lower fat burger and didn't really eat the chips... And I surprisingly became full quickly.. Interesting...

And another exciting development, I found out my health fund covers $40 of my duromine... Yeah, that means I will only be $60 out of pocket... I pay $100 for a month supply, which is about $110 US at the moment...

Eumie** I see in your ticker you are trying for a baby? Good motivation!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #210

Hey Girls, sorry for the long post.. Had a good weekend, and now we are going for lunch to wish my boss farewell.. PLEASE GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO NOT EAT BADLY.

Wish me luck..! How are you all going?
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.