3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Does it Work?

Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Phentermine

Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #166

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystyblue85 View Post
I've been on phentermine for exactly 5 days...that along with some other supplements and an injection of b12, and I have lost 11 lbs.
Wow!! That`s amazing!

May I ask what the supplements are and what the B12 was for?

Stella
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #167
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Wow!! That`s amazing!

May I ask what the supplements are and what the B12 was for?

Stella
B12 is a vitamin which is found in the soil and in the bodies of animals. It doesn't help with weight loss but if you are deficient, it can have an effect on your mood. If your doctor tests you and finds you are deficient, he/she may prescribe shots although generally doctors will recommend multivitamins, b12 vitamins and lastly b12 sublingual tabs. I personally take multivitamins and eat nutritional yeast to get b12. I will also eat some sea veggies with b12 in them.

Unfortunately, a lot of scammy weight loss doctors have popped up recently and for some reason they have picked b12 shots to use to make their methods sound more scientific. B12 shots are safe but unnecessary for most of the population. I would personally recommend avoiding any doctor that automatically prescribes b12 shots.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #168

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/169

Height: 5'7"

Nelie hit it right on the nose...the supplements are your basic vitamins (i never used to take them) and the b12 is for deficiency...

I tend to spew wisdom from my fingers (ok, maybe not wisdom, but definitely interesting tidbits) please take a look: http://musycslyrics.blogspot.com/
Out of my comfort zone, but totally necessary: http://fatgyrlproblems.blogspot.com/
mystyblue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #169
katiejames

S/C/G: 265/186/165

Height: 5'6

Talking Phentermine

I have been on phentermine since the beginning of July. I have to date lost about 25 pounds. The only part that i do attribute to the phentermine is the energy it gives me. ( i only wish there was something natural that i could take long term to help because i have liver disease and it wipes me out) I also canceled my membership at one gym and joined another ( to work out with my friends) i also started running on the treadmill....and i have never ran before in my life! but now that i started, i see the addiction. i run a little and walk ( because i dont want to hurt myself or get burned out) ok, so back to the phentermine, b12 injections, and prozac...my doctor and i had chosen these 3 medications for what they do. I have no metabolism because of my liver, and how we metabolize affects our mood. Although i can only take the phentermine until november 1st ( i need to stop for at 3 months to prevent more damage to my liver) i am confident that i will be able to keep up the great work. There is no magic pill, i still have to watch my calories, and also workout for 40 mintues a day. i also started lifting weights. ( my personal trainer highly recommended it) so...combined with a workout, these 3 meds, and maintaining a healthy diet, i have been able to lose 25 pounds. i just wanted to drop my story for any who are interested. i will continue the b12 injections after i am off the phentermine, because it will give me the energy i have lost due to my liver.
katiejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #170
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

I have only been on phentermine for about 4 days, 1/2 tab only for now. It does help curb my appetite and I feel more energetic. If you are planning on using it, as many have posted here, it MUST be paired with a lifestyle change. I am working on healthy eating and fitness in conjunction, so when the phen quits working, I am still going. For me it is a help with losing those first pounds, as I get discouraged very easily and give up. Its not a magic pill that will make the weight disappear forever, think of it as a jumpstart and nothing more. I do get dry mouth as a side effect, which has turned out to be a great thing, lol, b/c now I have no trouble drinking water! Haven't had my first weigh in yet, so we will go from there...

Good Luck to All!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #171
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Not safe for preggers....

Lap RNY 2/12/07- weightloss: 163 lbs; 306 SW; 143 CW
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #172
Just for today......

S/C/G: 275H/164/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

You have to use it as a tool. If you do not change your eating habits or exercise habits.... it is like everything else, you will gain it right back!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #173
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I lost about 40 lbs. years ago with phen and B12 shots at a weightloss clinic. It was great! It is an appetite suppressant and it worked! I didn't feel like eating, and that is huge for me!

The bad side was the feeling like my heart was going a mile a minute. I couldn't sleep (the doctor said that was very normal, but I missed my sleep!) and I always felt jittery. It really reeves up your metabolism. That is why you lose the weight so quickly. Your body thinks it's constantly running a marathon, even when you're sitting down! I felt the burn!

I stopped after about 6 months when I reached goal. The weight started to come back very quickly, because my metabolism was going back to normal. My body stopped burning and started packing on the pounds! A few months later I started taking it again. But it didn't work as well as before. It didn't suppress my appetite the same.

I would love to be able to lose weight on it again (it was so easy!), but I know I would have to take those pills forever, and I just can't do that. The main reason people pack the pounds back on after stopping is because of our metabolism. Sure willpower is not enough. Biologically, it's impossible. Your body just won't burn the calories the same because your metabolism slows down and you naturally burn less.

So, my story is not a happy ending. I'm still trying to find something that will work for me. I wish you the best.
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #174

S/C/G: 223.8/151/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi,

My family doctor prescribed it for me this past week. I just started yesterday. I have about 80# to lose - I just could not stick with any program.

I cannot believe how on my first day I did not even think about food. I have done WW in the past and am going to just use the pills as a tool to get me started with portion control, etc. I had thought about surgery, but my BMI is not high enough for insurance to cover it. Insurance does not cover this med for me, but it only cost about $19 at Krogers. My doctor said Kroger was the best price he knew of. Also he suggested that I start with 1/2 pill for a couple of days before taking a whole pill, so I have done that. I also read when one is ready to stop the pills to be weaned off which helps not gain the weight back.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!! Does anyone know what a "typical" weight loss per month should be with this pill?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #175
Each day is a victory!

I started phentermine at a weight loss clinic about 3 weeks ago, have lost 9 lbs thus far and it helps my appetite sooo much, it is rare that I am hungry now, and I just don't have that insatiable appetite I had before. I have talked to enough people to know that if you quit it you gain the weight back, they key, I think, is using it as a tool, bottom line is you have to eat better and exercise more. For me those first couple months of making those changes are slow progress for me, I hope that by using the phentermine it will give me the encouragement to keep up the changes. I just take 1/2 tab and plan on keeping that up for 3 months and slowly wean off of it and see what happens...

Never miss an opportunity to offer encouragement to others!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #176

S/C/G: 223.8/151/135

Hi,

I have taken it for four days now. The first two days and today I took 1/2 tab, yesterday I took a full tab and just felt like I was going to jump outta my skin. I am not sure if I am going to continue these or not. I do feel though that by taking them these few days I have been able to refocus on what I need to do. I just felt like crazy yesterday.

If I keep taking them, I am just going to take 1/2 tab day.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #177
Burn It!

S/C/G: 310.6/310.6/155

Height: 5'8

My sister and a number of her friends all took it and had success. My sister's doctor was very hestitant to perscribe it to her because she was only slightly overweight. She took a half does and got a little too skinny IMO. But she's been off it for a while now, gained about 5 lbs back (looks better) and has maintained there. All of her friends have maintained their losses as well. They were all featherweights though. They are extremely active; they ran a half-marathon together in April.

I looked into taking it myself, but I can't afford to take that and do WW, and WW is more important to me. Also I've read some reviews from people saying their bodies became resistant to the drug and it stopped working. I'm pretty prone to this (slimquick worked for 2 weeks, Alli worked for a month, I always have to switch out my headache and allergy medicines) so I'm a little afraid of wasting my money.

Overall:

Last edited by Aclai4067 : 11-01-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #178

S/C/G: 201/178/130

does anyone know of a clinic in omaha willing to prescribe phentermine?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #179
JayBird

Maybe this is what i need for a kick-start. I have 60 lbs to lose. What does one look for in a good weight loss clinic? Are there certain credentials I should be looking for? Would it be associated with a hospital? Sometimes I think I need to check myself into the Biggest Loser ranch !
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #180
Each day is a victory!

I think a good weight loss clinic should be run/overseen by a physician who specializes in bariatrics. Also look for one that provides a nutrition plan and fitness plan/counselor. Make sure that along with prescribing meds and weighing you they are tracking your bodyfat %, physical measurements, and those sorts of things. Find one where you feel comfortable with the staff and that is not so busy they are rushing you in and out. Paying that money you should at least be personally seen by a Dr. or nurse practitioner and have the opportunity to discuss your progress/concerns. Don't waste your money on a weight loss clinic that is really just acting as a "prescription" clinic! Good Luck!

Never miss an opportunity to offer encouragement to others!
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.